Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so we take out pup out and she will do her business but when we get inside she’s peeing AGIAN on my carpet!!!! Like within 5 mins. She’s even peed on my couch! I’ve tried staying out longer, praising BIGTIME for peeing outside and scoulding for peeing inside. I’m at a loss. I’ve never potty trained a pup before. Help!!!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Many pups don't 'get it all out' in one pee. You may need to stay out longer with her, making sure she pees 2-3 times (rewarding each time) before you go back inside. Or, since it's a pattern, you can pop her back in the crate when you come in, then do another potty break in 5 minutes or so, only letting her loose after the second one.

And don't scold when she potties inside! She's just a baby, and physically has very little bladder control right now, on top of learning the rules to living in a human household, so it's more distressing and confusing than helpful. Scolding also often only teaches dogs not to potty in front of you, rather than not to potty in the house. You can interrupt with something attention-getting but neutral (I like 'whoops' or 'uh-oh') and rush her outside if you catch her in the act (and reward if she finishes outside, of course), but if you find an accident after the fact it's too late to associate anything - good or bad - with her act of pottying.

·
Banned
625 Posts
Dogs typically do not "empty" in one release. Just keep walking after the first go. She will piddle multiple times. Keep walking until she squats to only dribble or no release.

My mini-schnauzer is a 4 yo male. He will go many times during a walk. Normally after his third release he is empty and just dribbling or leg lifting to make believe he is marking.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
As mentioned, some puppies (and adults) need to pee two or three times before they are empty. Taking her out on a leash, and having her porry before letting her play can help, as can DaySleepers suggestion of crating her when you come in, and taking her back out after 5 to 10 minutes. Also, don't forget to take her out often: after she wakes up, after she eats, after she takes a big slurp of water, after she's been playing for a while, and every 20-30 minutes just because.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts