Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I'm a first time dog owner, my husband and I adopted a border collie puppy over a week ago. We have a pen set up for him and the floor is covered in newspaper. Lately he has been chewing them nonstop. He has a rope toy, a kong, and 2 nylabones and we have always encouraged him to chew those, and praised him when he does. When I catch him chewing newspaper, I say a firm "NO!" and then show him a bone or toy that he can chew on and praise him when he does. That usually did the trick but just a day or two ago it's like a switch was flipped. "NO!" doesn't work, spraying the area with bitter apple doesn't work, the only thing that seemed to work is if I spent a lot of time with him in his pen. I know I can't let him get used to that, but he also can't keep shreadding the newspaper. It's like he stopped listening to me. Any ideas? Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Why is the newspaper there? If he can't leave it alone, I'd get rid of it.
Are you stuffing the kong with food or anything to make it interesting and "lickable"?
Sometimes at this age there is a lot of teething issues, sore gums etc and a kong that's not lickable and hard nylabones are not pleasant to chew on, ie painful.
Stuff the kong with some kibble, a few treats and put a layer of peanut butter or canned dogfood on top and freeze it. It will keep him busy longer and possibly the coolness of kong will help.
You can also dip the rope toy in icewater mixed with chicken broth and freeze it. It's important though to remember that rope toys should always be supervised toys, the rope can be torn apart and swallowed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought we were supposed to put newspaper on. We have laminate flooring in the kitchen, aside from the possible scratches that may occur, I did think about removing it but I thought it was "required"... obviously a newb here. I guess it's really just there in case he has an accident.

The kong has peanut butter and kibble in it. He's finally starting to really enjoy it, he didn't care for it when we first showed him last week. We haven't tried freezing the kong so I'll try that tonight. We had the rope frozen last night and it only entertained him for 5 minutes, seriously :S Thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
It's okay, we were all newbs at one time. LOL
I would ditch the newspaper and find some sort of matting (like those interlocking squares you can buy at the home depot) to put under his expen. Protects your floor, relatively easy to clean and if it's laid properly he shouldn't be able to chew it (edges outside of pen).

Have you checked out the first time owner section here and all the stickies? There is great info on housetraining, stopping nipping/biting and doggie zen. All worthwhile things to work on and start right.

As to the kong thing, it takes a bit of time for dogs to figure out the kong stuffing...if it's stuffed to full and doesn't let anything go they give up, if it's too loose it doesn't last long enough. Just takes practice, for both human and puppy.

I also would highly recommend you do some reading up on clicker training. BC's need LOTS of mental stimulation to keep them happy, not just physical exercise and be careful about using fetching too much as a game...herding breeds are easily obsessive (like you see with the newspaper). Mix it up, keep it positive and keep the brain moving...

Check out kikopup's channel on youtube. Great easy instruction and lots of fun stuff (that works towards other behaviours like loose leash walking, teaching tricks and impulse control etc) to teach your pup.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I've started reading through the stickies... lots to learn. Our pup has been doing well with housetraining but definitely still has room for improvement. I've also been reading a few books, a couple of them by Ian Dunbar... Definitely lots to learn, I just hope I'm absorbing it all. We just started conditioning him to the clicker too so hopefully we can move forward with the training soon.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Oh my that looks like an intelligent little guy! Heh intelligent guys are always troublemakers, you're going to have so much fun with him! His big green eyes are just full of expression!

I would definitely go ahead and remove the newspaper. Just make sure he has a soft bed or a few blankets/towels sorted into a bed because most dogs like a soft space as their bed.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I would worry a lot more about pee pads than newspaper. My puppies all shred newspaper, drag it around, etc etc. You might consider making a little container and putting shredded newspaper in it for him to eliminate. You just need about a 4" lip to keep the newspaper sort of inside it. You could use a box that is cut down to size, or etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So cute!
I agree with the other posters. Ditch the paper. Clean up an accidents with enzymatic cleaner. Keep up with the housetraining. If you are wanting an indoor dog loo, think about using a indoor dog potty tray or something that resembles his outdoor loo.

Your pup is chewing the newspaper because it probably relieves boredom, it's fun, it gets a rise out if you, he doesn't know any better and he's teething.

I keep my pups either in the same room with me or my husband either leashed to me, stationed on a bed or crated. That way I can deal with any unwanted behaviour right away. Also to sets the pattern that I am queen of the castle and they don't go anywhere in the house unless I let them.

There's no harm in having him around you when you're at home. It helps establish that you're the cool:rockon: leader and gets him bonded to you.

Good luck!
Jen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts