Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i currently have a 9 month Mini Australian Shepherd. I've been exercising him at least an hour and a half a day, and provide some mental stimulation on top of that. Between 3-6 months he was great at behaving, but now he just doesn't get tired, and i have to constantly watch him in the house when he's awake. He's constantly getting into stuff and grabbing socks/toilet paper etc. I'm currently training him to relax, but he just continues to ignore my commands. I'm not sure if neutering would help with some of his energy/Marking and pulling on walks. It could just be the puppy stage that he's going through? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
You have to exercise and train a dog, but you can't substitute tiring the dog out with exercise or training for teaching them to chill out. At some point their stamina increases beyond what *any* human is going to be able to provide.

Some dogs need more help learning that skill than others.

Structure, not indulging in 'nagging' behavior, providing appropriate activities (ie: something to chew, places to hang out, mat training), relaxation protocol (google it, it's free), and when all else fails confining the dog to limit options for being a pest or destructive and they get it.

But it takes time and consistency.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
You won't tire him out. Not ever, haha. So, after being properly exercised, dogs just need to chill out.

Yes, 9 months is a bit of a puppy phase. 9 months is a rough one, in general. When you need him to chill, try placing him in an x-pen (if he respects that boundary), behind a baby gate, or crate him. You can even tether him. Keep socks, shoes, and other loose objects he likes to chew on up and out of the way so he isn't tempted. Close the doors to bathrooms, laundry rooms, or anywhere where stuff he could get into is. Make sure he has plenty of appropriate chews and toys, and praise him for using them.

Neutering is not a guarantee of anything expect that the dog can no longer breed. My dog was neutered at 5 months old and humped, marked, acted insane, and still exhibited the common lack of household manners that you are currently experiencing. Ideally, you should wait until your pup is one year old or has finished growing to neuter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts