Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
View attachment 44442 View attachment 44450 My female's hair keeps falling out of her head. It all started a few months ago. We noticed the hair on her head turned from black to brown fairly quickly. After the color change it started falling out. The skin seemed to thicken and become flakey where it had fallen out. I assumed it was a diet problem (since she has been treated for fleas) and changed her to Purina One Beyond Formula. Within a few days her hair started to grow back and her skin cleared up! I was pumped! Unfortunately, though, about a month later it started to thin again and ended up just as before. I switched her food again, this time to Blue Small Breeds with Sensitivities. It didn't help a bit so I went back to Purina One Beyond, since that seemed to work for a bit. Well, it hasn't and I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Could be a number of things really. I would get the dog in to the vet for a skin scraping. Is it only on the dogs head?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Well one of the things that does come to mind is localized demodicosis (demodex mange).

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Is the contracted from other dogs? She hasn't been around any at all. Just curious.
No it's passed down from the mother, and any drop of the immune system even small, can cause an outbreak. It's a mite that lives in all dogs, and usually never causes any problems, but can every once in a while. Some dogs have more trouble with it than others. And no you can't get rid of the mites, but you can treat the mange they cause.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No it's passed down from the mother, and any drop of the immune system even small, can cause an outbreak. It's a mite that lives in all dogs, and usually never causes any problems, but can every once in a while. Some dogs have more trouble with it than others. And no you can't get rid of the mites, but you can treat the mange they cause.
Oh, thank you! Still think it is weird that it went away for a month and randomly came back.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trouble shooting for months? Please gether to the vet.
Please don't think that it is because I am neglecting or don't love my girl. I have been doing quite a bit of research on allergies with dogs, and everyone says that it can take a month or two with a new food, to see if it is working. She is in no pain or discomfort. Believe me, she is WELL taken care of. I would bet there are many children that don't have it as nice.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
You're assuming it's allergies, though, when it could very well be mites. A quick (inexpensive) skin scraping at the vet will tell you. If it is mites, then the treatment is also pretty cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're assuming it's allergies, though, when it could very well be mites. A quick (inexpensive) skin scraping at the vet will tell you. If it is mites, then the treatment is also pretty cheap.
Will definitely do. Money was not the reason for prolonging the vet visit. My best friend has a Chihuahua with the exact problem (and her dog was most likely from the same breeder). His issue was an allergy to food. I figured I would out rule that first.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Our Chi-mix has a similar small patch on her shoulder. After testing, the vet thinks it's a food allergy at this point, probably to corn, so we're using a grain-free food and treats. Check with your vet to see what they say.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts