Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, we have a 9 month old Jack Russell / Rat Terrier Mix. I spent some time reading through previous threads about potty training and the sticky at the top of this forum. But I still need some clarification for my exact situation. Thanks in advance for your help!

She was initially crate trained as a puppy, and she loved her crate. But at night and during the day when we were at work (6-8 hours), she couldn't hold it long enough and would go in her crate (yes, we made the space tiny, but her little puppy bladder couldn't hold it long enough). Since we couldn't always come home half way through the day to let her out and pee, we decided to leave her in the bathroom with a gate up. Her crate was in there, open, and a pee pad was close by. This set up worked fine for awhile.

After awhile, we started leaving her in the kitchen (more space) with her bed and a potty pad by the back door. When we were away and at home with her, she used the potty pad only. Again, this worked well for awhile.

We did this until she got all her shots and could go outside. Then, we got a fake grass patch and trained her to use that on the back patio. We still had the pads inside by the back door during this transition. Once she had that mastered, we tried eliminating the pad inside when we were at home. We let her out every 2-4 hours to pee on the fake grass(and on walks of course). During the day when we were at work and at night when she slept for extended periods, we left a pad down by the back door. So currently, she uses the pad at night and when we are at work. And the fake grass patch when we are home with almost no accidents.

Recently, we tried eliminating the pads inside completely, but while at work and during the night, she had a few accidents on the floor in random places in the kitchen. We tried this for a week or so, but the accidents happened every day and every night when we were not able to let her out every 2-4 hours. So we added the pads back in while away.

Can anyone offer up some advice on next steps? We'd like to eliminate the pads completely, but she pees on the floor during extended times of 4 hours or more. Is it that she just can't hold it that long? Will that come with age? What should we do from here?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have any input on this? I know it is another potty thread, but I did a lot of reading through other threads on here and still need input on my specific situation. Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Have you tried going back to the crate? She may like the idea of peeing in her bed less now that she's older.

I'd hire a dog walker during the day to break up the time you aren't home, and get up in the middle of the night to take her for a pee. Make sure you clean up any accidents with an enzymatic cleaner.

You could have a urinalysis run at the vet to eliminate any medical problems.

I know some dogs are slower than others with bladder control. When I used to do a lot of dog sitting, I'd watched adult dogs who just were never housebroken. We lucked out that our puppy has been able to hold it 9 hrs overnight since he was about 12 wks old. He'll be 5 mos next week. My husband still comes home at lunch so the puppy can get out and pee and play a while, but in the 3.5-4 hr blocks during the day when we're at work he's fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts