Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have 2 dogs. A mini-pin/chihuahua mix (1 year old) and a Boston Terrior (5 months)

Both dogs are crate trained and have always done very well with it. We both just got new jobs in which we work 8 hour days. We started out by leaving them in their crates until we got lunch then coming home and letting them out for 30 mins and putting them back up until we got home. In all they were spending about 9 hours in their crates. We got worried that this was to much so we decided to leave them in their crates the first 5 hours and then for the 2nd half leave them in a room so they can play and run around. We picked up everything off the floor and made sure no chocking hazards were in the room. Both days that we tried this the dogs had used the bathroom all over the place and they also ripped the stuffing out of the bed and ripped up the sheets. We really don't know what to do. If we don't leave them in their crates then they raise hell but we're araid that 9 hours is to long. Can someone give us some advice please. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the weather right now, would make an external pen unpleasant for them (its very cold, and they are very small). but that is definitely an option during the summer.
do you think that is a lot more humane than the crate?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what would you do for flooring (or flooring cover)? we have an extra room that we could take everything out of and it would simply be the room nothing else...would that be better? or would the ex-pen prevent them from eliminating in the house (via the idea of being in a huge crate)?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
our boston was pad trained up until we house trained her and since then she really doesn't want to use her pads. our minpinchi never got pad training as a puppy-we got him when he was 4 months and his former owner claimed he wouldn't use the pads so we went straight to house training- and now he won't use the pads....holds it until he can't anymore and then just goes where ever he is when he can't contain it any longer (an observation from not getting him outside in time).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We just wanted to update everyone. We tried leaving them in the room the last 3 hours again today and when we got home they had been very good. No accidents and nothing tore up. Could this be a sign that they are getting usee to it?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
We just wanted to update everyone. We tried leaving them in the room the last 3 hours again today and when we got home they had been very good. No accidents and nothing tore up. Could this be a sign that they are getting usee to it?

They may be getting used to things but I would not chance leaving them out unsupervised, especially the 5 month old. There are just too many things s/he could get into that could be harmful. If you can't get home during lunch or have someone come in once during the day to take the dogs out I would go with an ex-pen with the crates inside the pen, crate doors open. This gives the dogs a bit more room but still keeps them and your house safe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They may be getting used to things but I would not chance leaving them out unsupervised, especially the 5 month old. There are just too many things s/he could get into that could be harmful. If you can't get home during lunch or have someone come in once during the day to take the dogs out I would go with an ex-pen with the crates inside the pen, crate doors open. This gives the dogs a bit more room but still keeps them and your house safe.
We are coming home from lunch. We keep them in the crates the first 5 hours and then let them run around in our kitchen (doors closed and nothing at all they can get into) for the last 3 hours. I know this probably isn't the best thing but right now we can't afford a crate. We're still open to ideas and suggestions, though... and thank you for help so far.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I walk my dog 1.2 miles in the morning and I make sure she eliminates. I then have to go to work and she goes in her crate. She is there until I get homa nd walk her another 2-4 miles.

I leave for work at 6:15AM and return home at 4:30PM.

I investigated this heavily before getting a dog and was told it was not a problem. I have had her for almost two years and I must say that those who I asked were correct. It is not a problem.

The benefits are that she is safe and not destroying anything.

Would I like this to be a shorter time frame.. Well yes.. but I live 35 miles from my job so there is no coming home to let her our at noon. Because I live in a rural area there is no dog walker avialable either.

It is important to exercise the dog a lot when you are home.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's not a problem. My Golden would regularly go 10 hours without any problems for most of her life. She had free reign of the house because she was very well behaved and an older dog when we moved and she lost her outdoor kennel in the country.

Elle goes 9 - 10 hours (at 9 months) and only rarely has a problem. She has her crate in an ex-pen on a solid surface floor she can't easily damage. She goes out immediately before we leave and immediately when we get home. Well, when we get home she has to run around the house and find each of the cats to say "hi" and THEN goes outside. This tells me she is not in any distress as there is no urgency to go outside nor any accidents on the way to the door.

She gets lots of exercise with training and play morning and night and feeding on a pretty strict schedule which I believe keeps her bathroom needs regular.

She has access to water during the day but not food other than the cookie she gets when she goes in to the ex-pen in the morning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts