Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the sudden my dog is showing signs of anxiety. She acts skittish if I accidentally bump into her food and water bowls. She also won't eat or drink water unless I stay in the room with her. She will bark until she gets her way too. This is all new over the past 2 months. I mentioned it to the vet and she said as dogs get older, dogs begin to experience anxiety and behavioral issues. I definitely think my golden is bored too, since I work all day. Has anyone experience with older dogs and what might help to help reduce the anxiety?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Hm. Did the vet check her for physical issues like arthritis, hip problems, diabetes, etc.? Sudden behavioral changes are often a sign that there is something physically wrong. If your vet just blew it off as "this is normal" without further investigation, I would strongly recommend seeing a different vet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She put my dog on an anti-anxiety medication to try for 30 days. I do not see any physical problems and the vet said her coat looked good as well as her weight. No arthritis. However there is stage 2 tooth decay, so we need schedule a teeth cleaning under anesthesia. She was very stressed at her vet visit. So with all the goods things about her physically, I am perplexed with her urine issue. She drinks and pees fine. I was wondering if she is bored and maybe not getting enough exercise. Over the last 6 months, my daughter and her sheltie moved out, so maybe she is acting out and being bored. She is very sweet and just wants you to pet her and love her. I cannot see anything physical that is out of the normal.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I would save the anxiety meds for last.
I second this. medication should be a last resort, it can mask an underlying problem, and I also might think about seeing another vet. You could get a senior blood panel done also make sure her internal system is running like clock work. Changes in behavior often indicate thyroid problems or something, even if its clear it will give you piece of mind anyway :)

Hope you figure it out and keep us updated!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts