Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, newbie to the forum here.
on Thursday i picked up a black labrador bitch, 8 weeks 1 day old. i fed her that night and she ate the lot. since then she has hardly touched her food. I am feeding her on the same food as what the breader was feeding her on. is this typical for a puppy going into a new environment top go of their food. ( oh its also been very hot here since we collected her

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
It's fairly typical for any dog getting used to a new environment. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it continues past a week or so. Why do you mention the heat? Is the pup outside all day?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
There's a few different possiblities that I can think of:

* She could still be getting used to her environment.
* Could be the temperate, some dogs will eat less when it's really hot.
* If you're feeding her more than the recomended quantity, she could be full and not interested.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you notice her being sluggish or getting skinny. :) You could also ask about it on your next vet visit...puppies go in all the time for their shots.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Eight week old puppies should GOBBLE their food!! Take her temperature immediately.

If it is above 102, or you notice any sluggish or sickly behavior, get to a vet immediately. This is a prime age for Parvo virus. The first symptom is often a gradual decrease in appetite, then a fever spike and serious illness.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Something doesn't sound right...if she still won't eat anything for you I would take her to the vet tomorrow morning. At 8 weeks she should be able to eat well on her own, but if it seems like she's having trouble eating the kibble I would try putting some water on it to make it more soft. I hope everything is okay. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your responses everyone. Well she woke up this morning and gobbled up her breakfast and appeared to be looking for more. So i gave her some more and that was gobbled up straight away so hopefully thats the end of the lack of eating. thie other thing i have noticed that her poo is always loose since she had her first jab, is that a common after effect?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
It's not unusual to have reactions, such as the one you mention, to the vaccines especially if she's getting the combination shots so often used today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts