Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She constantly wants to chew/bite everything, even my hand or feet. Right now I'm just getting mad every time that happens and telling her "no" in a very gruff voice and immediately giving her chew toys to play with

Should I change that? Just ignore her when she does that?

Do I need to train her on how to be gentle with her mouth? Also she can't sleep for more than 4-5 hours. Is there a trick to help her sleep for 6-8 hours straight?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Sounds like a perfectly typical puppy to me. Puppies at that age are like toddler humans, and everything goes in the mouth to either be chewed on or eaten. "No" doesn't really have any meaning, so just keep redirecting her to something she is allowed to chew on. If that doesn't work, then popping her into her crate or pen for a minute or so, to get across the idea of "teeth on human skin stops all interactions" is a good idea. Also, an over-tired or over-excited puppy is a bitey puppy, so putting her in her crate or pen for a nap would be a good idea. I've got a friend with a now 12-ish week old working line Belgian Tervuren puppy, and you want to talk about mouthy.... she's always shoving a toy in his mouth to keep him from chomping on her.

At this age, puppies play hard and sleep hard, and for short bursts of time. Four to five hours actually isn't bad. If you are asking about her sleeping six to eight hours overnight, well, my German Shepherd was nearly two before she quit needing an early morning potty run a couple of hours before we normally got out of bed to start the day. So if we went to bed at 11:00 PM, she would typically need to go out sometime between 4:30 and 5:30. We normally got up at around 7:00 to get the kids ready for school.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
You have a baby. Babies cannot sleep long shifts! they need to go out every few hours to pee and poop (as well as after eating. after waking up, during and after play!).

The rule of thumb is one hour "holding it" for every 2 months of age. So, 8 hours does not happen until 16 weeks. Just a rule of thumb for sure! You will need to get up in the night to get your puppy out.

As to the biting.. this is normal puppy play. People want to cuddle puppies.. and it is sort of like cuddling a shark. Ha! You need toys and to redirect to those things.. and you must be patient. This is a BABY. They do not understand and a gruff voice is not something they "get" other than damage to your relationship. There is a book I recommend for new puppy owners. It is called "Raising a Puppy you can Live With." It isn't perfect but it can be very very helpful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts