Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to this forum - hello!
We have a 7month old multi-gen labradoodle called Poppy who has just completed her second course of antibiotics to treat a suspected UTI. We noticed that soon she was toilet trained (about 5 months), she started peeing in her bed (even when not toilet trained, she did not do this). It was bad enough to soak through to the floor and she was wet each morning.

We have noticed a huge improvement since the antibiotics - drinks much less & no wee's in her bed like before but it seems she 'dribbles'? for want of a better word. We tried her in a doggy tramp for a few nights with some news paper under her and saw no signs of having wet.

When she sleeps in her usual bed (covered anti flea foam mattress kind), I see moisture marks each morning but not soaked.
She starts to smell strongly of urine around 3 days after a bath.
She doesn't seem to clean herself at all (I don't know if this is the poodle coming through).
She often walks while still peeing (even when there is no obvious reason for doing so).
She has a longer fleece coat that is certainly not helping with keeping the urine off her but I would have thought most dogs of this kind don't need to be clipped super short to avoid this.
She was spayed at 7 weeks.

So I am posting this to see if anyone has had any similar situations or can offer some advice on what to try next. Is this the sort of thing to expect with a labradoodle? are there any tried & tested tips you could share? I have two young children to juggle along with her as well so washing the dog every second day so the urine smells don't get too strong doesn't really work for me (and well, lets face it - I could think of better things to do).

Love to hear from you,
Mel

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
No, this isnt a labradoodle thing. I'm around that breed often; my guide dog school breeds them to use as guides, and I've never heard of such a thing. I would get another opinion from a different vet. Theres something going on there in my opinion. Its not normal to dribble urine like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for responding Labmom4.

You have confirmed my suspicions... having reminded me that these dog breeds are used as guides and are great for autistic children, it is definitely too much maintenance for me at present to assume it is normal.

On cue, she woke this morning with a drenched back leg - definitely more than a dribble. I will head back to the vet to get further tests to see if we can nut it out.

I sense many $$$ about to be spent!

Appreciate your help. Will keep you posted on progress if you like.
Mel

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Was a urinalysis done, or was she just treated with abx because of the symptoms? If it hasn't already been done, I would request a urinalysis and urine culture be done, just to make sure your pup is getting treated with the right medications to solve the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Covertune,
Not exactly sure what the test was but I did get a urine sample (isn't that a wonderful process) and they did test it... if that is a urinalysis then yes. That combined with the symptoms led us to this line of treatment.
I think the next step is to have a more accurate test (catheter type thing??) I am pretty vague on the specifics.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Was she spayed as a pup? If so it's possible she has spay incontinence, if not scratch the idea.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
HI Carla,
Yes - she was spayed at 7 weeks by the breeders vet... it is a possibility eh?
Yes, it's a VERY HIGH possibility. Pediatric spay is a leading cause of spay incontinence, it can be treated with Estrogen, spayed that young however the estrogen may not stop it completely.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
For some reason, a LOT of the Autralian Labradoodle breeders spay/neuter before the puppies go to their new home. I don't know if Australian breeders of other breeds do the same or the Labradoodle people are just trying to protect their bloodlines, but every Australian Labradoodle website I've looked at said their pups would be altered before sale.

Anyway, yes, I'd guess that spay incontinence is the problem here. My first dog had it. We kept her in doggie diapers when she was having a leaky day.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I really really wish breeders and potential owners would educate them selves on the risks of pediatric s/n. I understand wanting to be sure your dog doesn't end up with a back yard breeder or someone who isn't going to be responsible when the heat start, but simply waiting until a female has had a single heat reduces the chance of SO MANY problems. Besides, that's what a spay nueter contract is for...

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Besides, that's what a spay nueter contract is for...
I've heard it said manymany times. . .a spay/neuter contract isn't worth the paper it's written on. If someone really wants to breed their dog there's nothing that can really be done about it. Withholding registration papers until proof of spay/neuter is given will prevent them from selling a registered litter, but if someone breeds the dog you sold them , tough tooties. If you took them to court you might get something, but if they've already had the puppies it's too late anyhow.

So I totally understand why breeders and shelters do pediatric spay/neuter (and I'm all for it in cats). Too bad there isn't a better option. I've never seen a study done one exact percentages, but I think the majority of dogs altered young don't have any particular health issues from it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts