Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

My wife and I just rescued a 7 year old Shiba from the shelter. It's only been 3 days since we've had her, but she's made so much progress in some areas, and not so much in others.

Before she was at the shelter, she was in a crate for at least 12 hours a day. I'm not sure if this gave her extreme resilience in her bladder or not, but I'm having some concerns. First off, when we first got her, we took her in the backyard to go to the bathroom and she went almost instantly. Now, she pretty much refuses to go to the bathroom in our backyard, and only will go when I take her on a walk near the lake by our house.

We decided this won't work for us when we start going to work again, (we're teachers, it's summer) so we decided to start training her to use the backyard. She's been holding it for about 20 hours now, and we've taken her out 5 times today, starting at 5:30 AM. She will not use the backyard any more! We tried walking her around on the leash (for about 15 minutes) we tried playing with her and getting her to exert herself, but she just seems to not have to go at all!

Now, she's laying next to me, sleeping, showing no signs of discomfort whatsoever. Should I be concerned? Should we eventually cut our losses and just take her for a walk? I heard Shibas are really dastardly, and will learn from that, that she can keep holding it until we walk her. Bottom line: Am I just being too impatient with a dog that's only been in our home for 3 days, or do I need to try harder, and make her stay outside 'till she goes? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
If you keep doing what you're doing she will have to go eventually....she may just be trying to get you to take her for a walk. Just keep trying to make her exert herself and as soon as she goes to the bathroom in your backyard praise her like crazy :D do a lot of "good girl" and give a couple treats and just have a mini party :D then she'll see that going in the backyard is a good thing. Also are you sure she hasn't gone in the house? She could've snuck (sneaked?) off to do her business without you knowing. If you haven't been CONSTANTLY watching her then I would check around your house to see if there are any wet spots. (this could be because her last person hit her for going potty inside and she learned that "potty in front of person=mad so I should sneak off to do my business"

·
Registered
215 Posts
Shibas are a more primitive breed and they can be... finicky. Most primitive breeds potty train easy and are VERY clean (for a dog anyway!) in their living quarters. One thing that might help, which is a bit unorthodox, is to have another dog pee in your backyard (she doesn't have to be present). When she goes out and smells that another dog has peed there, she probably would want to 'mark' that spot too. My vet's office takes dogs to a certain area to pee when they need urine samples. That's were I got the idea from. ;)

You may also want to check out NihonKen.org for a shiba forum and another forum for all of the native Japanese breeds. Shibas are different from most commonly kept dogs in the US. They aren't 'crazy' like some people might think, they're just different. When you know what to expect and that your dog isn't a freak of nature, it can be a relief. ;) Most shibas are not dog-friendly (no dog parks), don't particularly like being handled/pet by strangers especially on the head...

For example, my Boxer LOVES to meet people but my TRD (a primitive breed) would rather avoid strangers even though he has been socialized. Its just their natures and that tendancy will always be there.

Good luck!!! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses! These will definitely help me out. I'll see if I can get another dog to come over. This Shiba seems really different from any other that I've met. She loves every single stranger she's come in contact with. She will immediately flop down in front of them, but you're right, she's not very fond of other dogs. I'll go check the house to make sure she hasn't made any spots!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have no real help but to say welcome and check out the Shiba Shake website. The lady trains that breed and has great insight and advice for all breeds of dogs. I've learned a lot reading through her stuff. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts