Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We rescued our papillion Radar 5 years ago and he's a total sweetheart, loves people, total cuddlebug. My dad is his person and he has an invisible five-foot leash on him.

This has been progressing slowly, not enough for us to notice til now, as he was once pretty hefty. But he's not eating much and throwing up a lot. My dad switched his food from purina dog chow (which we got that in puppy chow first then dog chow because of my other new dog) to Science Diet which is what he was on when we got him from the rescue, as recommended by the vet. Even now he won't eat much of it, we've thrown in over-easy eggs into the mix to try to convince him but he digs the egg out and eats very little of the dog food. We do feed table scraps, lately for him just bland foods to get something in him. Some days he cheers up and happily runs around and eats whatever is in his dish(probably cause he was so hungry from not). Maybe you caught it, but he's also seemed depressed and he shakes. I dont know if he just shakes cause he's a little dog and is always nervous or what but he's not cold or feverish.
Okay so I'm rambling, so let's list.
-Losing Weight
-Seems depressed
-Loss of Appetite
-Lots of throwing up
(I should ad these things, he's always got food, clean water but downside is he's got bad teeth though he clearly feels better after they're brushed.)

This has been going on for weeks now.. Can anyone tell me whats going on with my little dog?

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
First piece of advice: take him to the vet.

But is Radar using the bathroom regularly?

Also, have you tried switching foods? I'm personally not a fan of Science Diet and it might not be the problem, but a very inexpensive way of testing that is to just get a different brand and see if switching it out would solve anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[email protected]: Currently I dont if I can afford a vet so I'm working to find one that takes payments in my area right now. But he definitely is. Though he's always preferred the house so if we don't take him out twice each time he'll do one outside and one inside. Though that falls under normal for him.. Anyways one thing is he does seem constipated, but I just assume its cause he hardly eats, so i on't expect much out of him.
And yes. When we first got him he was on Science diet, as recommended. I got a new puppy and he kept eating the puppy chow so we had them both on puppy chow for 6 months then Purina dog chow up until a month ago (so for about 10months to a year)

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Sorry if I'm not understanding... But you switched from Purina back to Science?
And the reason I asked about the bathroom schedule is my first thought was "blockage!" but I am by no means a vet and if it has been going on for weeks a serious blockage would have done your dog in by now. Though the "he does seem constipated" makes me wonder...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes Science to Purina then back and currently to Science (the other dog is still on purina though) He was at his worst point feeling sick and such on Purina so that's why we made the switch back. Only dog food we can think of that we trust. (had one dog get cancer and was told it was the foods she ate so we're more wary now.)

The blockage could make sense... He drops very small and very little. He's always walked while he goes and it's always been small (hes a small dog soo..) But like today on our walk it was like a deer pellet. Basically nothing. We didn't even bother to clean it up because there wasn't a point.
Could you possibly tell me what could cause a blockage? Anything I can do before a vet would be nice.

·
Super Moderator
7,277 Posts
Please review the disclaimer at the top of this forum. This forum is for the discussion of vet diagnosed ailments, and there is no way the members here can, or should, provide a diagnosis over the Internet. Your pup needs to see a vet, and soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.