Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a few questions about my new puppy (approx 7 weeks?) - I adopted him from a shelter.

1. I have been crate training the puppy - at night (2nd night in my house) the past two nights I have set an alarm at about 330 AM just to wake him up and go outside to see if he has to pee....Should I bother setting an alarm or wait until he cries to wake me up??

2. Should I bring him outside on a leash to go potty? If he is on the leash, should I let him lead me around the yard, or stay stern at one spot in the yard and not let him leave that area?

3. I tried to give my puppy a walk yesterday - I realize he is very young, but when I put him on the leash and start to walk he lays down or tries to stand his ground in one area and not walk. Should I give him a tug?? I tried, he doesn't move so i end up forcing him (kinda dragging).

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
1. I usually waited until I heard them stir to take them out to potty. If you don't think you would hear them, you never know if you'd be extra tired, the alarm clock is a good idea.

2. It's best to pick a small spot in the garden for them to toilet & take them to that spot. They get to know by their own smell & you can add a word or short phrase, I say get busy, to say while he's going, so eventually you can use it to get him to go. Some ppl use a leash to get them to that spot in a hurry before they have a chance to go. I have not. It's important to stay with the puppy until he goes so you know he has gone.

3. Puppies don't automatically know what a colar & leash are for. It's not a good idea to drag the puppy around, it can make them scared. You can start by putting a short piece of light rope to the collar, a couple of inches, for a couple of days while you're there to supervise, a few minutes at a time. Gradually increase the length & weight of the rope or puppy leash. Then hold the end of the leash & let him walk around with it attached for short sessions only while you stand still. You don't want him to learn that he can pull you around.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
1. I have been crate training the puppy - at night (2nd night in my house) the past two nights I have set an alarm at about 330 AM just to wake him up and go outside to see if he has to pee....Should I bother setting an alarm or wait until he cries to wake me up??
DFM answered this pretty well.

2. Should I bring him outside on a leash to go potty? If he is on the leash, should I let him lead me around the yard, or stay stern at one spot in the yard and not let him leave that area?
Stay in one spot. Pee time is pee time, playtime is playtime. He should go out on a leash and stay in one spot until he pees. When he pees, praise him like crazy, and then it's straight back inside the house.

3. I tried to give my puppy a walk yesterday - I realize he is very young, but when I put him on the leash and start to walk he lays down or tries to stand his ground in one area and not walk. Should I give him a tug?? I tried, he doesn't move so i end up forcing him (kinda dragging).
This thread might help:
http://www.dogforums.com/3-dog-training-forum/48114-dog-refuses-walk.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts