Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 week old cavalier and he doesn't drink water at all. I moisten his food in water and I think he's getting water from there. I also make him drink water with a 5 ml syringe and i seems that it chokes him a bit when he drinks it. Can you please help me what to do so he can drink alone.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Unless your vet suggested giving the pup water in a syringe because he's dehydrated I would not do so. He's probably just getting enough with his food. I would have fresh water available for him if he wants it and not worry about it.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
First off you need to get him to a vet to find out why he isn't drinking water. Hopefully there isn't any underlying health issues causing this. Second off 7 weeks is WAY TOO SOON for a Cavalier to be separated from it's littermates and mom. Chances are you won't be returning this pup to it's "breeder", I wouldn't either, but you'll have to mae extra certain that he get's well socialzed. That means you'll need to enroll him in a puppy kindergarten and take him out to visit new places once he's finished getting all his shots. Undersocialized Cavaliers become overly shy & timid and often turn into fear biters.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts