Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I decided to make an account on this forum because my fiance has a 7 month old puppy, Chewbacca, and we are having a hard time training him. Since he got the puppy when the puppy was 2 months old, he has been using a crate to train him. The puppy has done well with bladder control, since he has been capable of holding everything for up to 12 hours while he is in the crate. The main problem we are facing though, is the fact that while the puppy has no problem holding it inside his crate, he has no regard to our house, peeing and pooping wherever and whenever.

What we are doing right now is walking him 2-3 times a day. Usually in the morning and at night, and in between if we can. We have him on a controlled diet, eating once a day. We praise him and encourage him every time he goes outside. But still, he pees and poops inside, with no attempts of holding it like he does in his crate, and with no warning signs whatsoever. When he ends up doing something inside, my fiance usually punishes him by spanking, and then by locking him in the crate for a while.

Now the puppy has taken to hiding to do his business inside of the house. When we walk our dogs, a lot of times he doesn't poop, and when he does, he ends up pooping inside a couple of minutes after we finished walking him. Tonight was the last straw as me and my fiance just came back form walking our dogs, and the puppy, after doing both businesses outside, pooped on our bed.

I would like to know what we can do so that our puppy starts holding his bodily functions inside just as he does inside his cage. After all, if he can hold it for so long inside, he should be able to hold it inside our house too. Yet he just seems to regard inside just as outside when it comes to going to the bathroom, no matter how much we praise him when he does it outside, or punish him when he does it inside.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Stop punishing him. All you are doing is telling him that he shouldn't poop or pee in front of you or you aren't telling him anything at all. What does putting him in his crate do? Nothing. You aren't teaching him anything. What does praising him do when you punish him when he goes inside the house? All he's learning is sometimes you hit him and other times you don't. He's confused, that's why you have made no progress.
Create a schedule where you take him outside every hour/two hours when you are around, when you are not around he can be inside the crate or left outside, if possible. Just take him outside and play with him, or just hang out with him, do not focus on/think about him going pee or poop.
When he finally does go pee/poop give him praise if you want to, or don't, because it's just going to the restroom, there isn't anything special about it. Continue playing with him. Eventually he'll want to go outside to use the restroom because he does it there so often.
If he has accidents then accept that he had an accident, don't take it personal, he's a dog and he hasn't been trained properly because of you. He's not doing it out of spite or anything. Just clean it up and move on. If you catch him in the act then take him outside and let him finish there, but do not become angry or frustrated or upset, just walk him outside to go to the restroom, as if nothing happened.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. This is the owner of the dog, the fiance. Anyways, yeah I understand now why punishment of bodily fluids might not be the best way to go. After all, its not the same as other behaviors that need correcting like biting shoes or something like that.

Now, the problem is that I want my puppy to treat my house as he treats his kennel. By that I mean that if he is able to hold his stuff inside his kennel, he should be able to hold it as long as he does outside in the house too. We know its not ideal, but there have been times when he has been able to hold it for over 10 hours no problem.

The reason why I wanted to post here in the first place was that after I took him out last night, he peed and pooped while I walked him. Then we go inside, and he poops again on top of our bed! I mean, why would he poop inside the house right after pooping outside??? And he even did it in front of me, so I know he wasn't simply relieving himself with fear.

I just want him to see the house the same way he sees his kennel. I don't want to use the kennel at all. But as long as he doesn't hold his stuff inside the house he will have to sleep in it at night and be in it when we are out of the house.

·
Registered
24 Posts
IF you understand why a do g is able to be potty trained it may help you... First, The kennel, mimics a den, You may know this, but bare with me. So like you said, the kennel makes it easier for he dog to understand to potty outside. The dog over time, potty is in the same place. In the wild the dogs would have a "potty area" where all the dogs go, this keeps the pack from getting sick. I think what has happened is your dog thinks the house is the same outside. Don't walk your dog until he potties. Go to the same place outside, everytime....then back to the kennel. everytime, you give the dog access to the house and he potties in it, that's one more ***** in the armour. Get over your aversion to the crate. If this were my dog, it would spend a week in the crate only coming out to potty, and going right back in. He's never going to see the house as the same as the kennel....the house is to big, Dogs live in tiny little dens... You need to teach him there is one specific potty area away from his crate. Right now, that's outside, and your bed apparently.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update:

I have kept my puppy inside his crate since I posted here, so this would be the 6th day. I have only taken him out for potty and to feed him. I have been taking him to the same location every day for every walk. He has actually gotten used to pooping there, so much so that while at first I had to wait like 5 or more minutes for him to do anything, now he does it as soon as he gets there...

The problem lies in him going inside though. Because yesterday after I walked him for the second time, I left him loose while I showered. No more than 30 minutes after he had pooped outside, he pooped inside again! Following the advice of this board, I didn't punish him. I did, however, lock him up in the cage again and today I am keeping him inside all day only to take him out to poo and pee.

What else can I do? I mean, my fiance's dog does nothing while inside the house, yet she has no particular pooping place, and is a pain to walk. Yet mine, takes less than 2 minutes for him to pee and poop, yet when he comes back inside, he keeps doing so, without even attempting to hold it and wait to go outside again. What else can I do???? (and the problem is not bladder and bowel control, he can hold it for a really long time in his kennel)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
You can hit yourself with a newspaper, because this accident was your fault for inadequately supervising the dog.

It's a good idea to let the dog out of the crate AND ADEQUATELY SUPERVISE HIM when you are around the house. I actually disagree with the PP above who said to only let the dog out of the crate to potty and eat. I don't see what purpose that serves. By letting the dog out with serious constant supervision to prevent any accidents, the dog will learn that the house is not a potty zone (because if he starts thinking about going, you'll take him outside immediately). Adequate supervision means tether him to your waist with a leash and never let him out of your sight. If you can't watch him, then you crate him.

Your dog simply does not understand that inside the house is a non-potty zone. It's something you have to teach him. The way you teach this is to a) reward pottying in appropriate spots (outside) and b) prevent accidents from happening. Eventually the dog will cotton on to the fact that inside pottying is simply not an option.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not sure how much of an advice this would be - if he poops on your bed and all..perhaps try feeding him snacks or something on the bed. I have heard that dogs normally dont pee/poop in areas that they eat...this has been true for my dog but I'm not sure how much truth is in that theory.

Also - perhaps the puppy is not done when you are out taking him to poop? Wait a bit longer to see if he poops again and let the puppy take its time. Normally when bonnie is done...she will kind of move forward a few steps and kick the grass back like shes trying to cover her poop. LOL Of course there have been times when she needs to poop again after this...but just look to your puppy to give your signs that he/she is done.

Also have you thoroughly cleaned the areas the puppy pooped making sure there are no smells of prior accidents? My doggy - who is awesome at peeing outside - peed twice in my bestie's house when she was dogsitting. And they had another dog before who peed in that area and they never cleaned it up properly...so u never know.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Um, are you really only taking that puppy out to go 2-3 times per day? Because if that's true, I'd like to see you only go 2-3 times per day.

Take the poor thing out of the crate, put a leash on him and attach the leash to you. Watch him, and at any sign of going, rush him outside. Wait 15 minutes, if he goes, immediately give him an awesome treat, like cheese or hot dog pieces. Take him outside every 1-2 hours and after waking, eating and playing. Clean your house with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle. If you're just using soap to clean, the puppy can still smell his mess and thinks that's an okay place to go.

Also, no, you do not need to punish your dog for anything. Dogs don't chew on stuff because they're bad, they chew on stuff because they like to chew. Instead, show your dog what to chew. Simply remove the "wrong" item and give him his toys. Praise him when he chews his toys. Give him a yummy treat. Eventually he'll learn that chewing on his toys means treats and praise and he'll do it more. Also, if your dog chews on your shoes, that's your fault for leaving your shoes where your dog can get them. Redirection, management and teaching make punishment unnecessary.

Stick around the forum. You'll learn a lot.

·
Registered
740 Posts
If he keeps pooping in the house a second time right after pooing outside, then you need to let him outside longer, so he can finish the 'second' potential poop. Pattern recognition is important with potty training.

Also, please supervise him. My dog is 1 years and 2 months and not housebroken yet, because I failed to supervise her EVERY minute. Now, she comes with me EVERYWHERE. When I shower, she's in the bathroom with me. When I cook, she's confined in the kitchen with me. Every other time I'm directly watching her or have her tethered to me. That way when she starts showing signals she needs to go (growling, turning in circles, sniffing the floor), I take her outside immediately to the same spot, and use the same command words "go potty!". It's been a week now and no accidents, which is probably the longest she's ever gone, and only because I was not paying attention to her enough before. Please don't make the same mistakes I did, and REALLY supervise her, like you would an infant child.

Also, I take her out at least 5 times a day to pee and poo. If you're on a really regular schedule, you'll notice that they poo the same time each day - Butters will go first thing in the morning, and on the evening walk, ALWAYS. If she doesn't, i'm 100% sure she will have an accident in the house later. Nevertheless, with diet change and stress anything can happen, so supervision is key! Keep a diary of when your dog needs to go, and make sure you keep them on a routine schedule of food, water, sleep, and walks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
10 - 12 hours in a crate is way too long for a puppy - or ideally, any dog. Just because they CAN hold it, doesn't mean it's a good thing. I was thinking it's quite possible that by the time the dog gets to go out, just one poop and one pee may not be enough. A young dog is generally so happy to see you...and if that much time has gone by with the dog just lying in a crate... It sounds like the pup really needs more fun interaction with you...more time outside playing/relaxing/walking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We had some problems with our 4 month old GSD puppy, and advice from the vet and on this forum helped. To sum it all up:

1. Puppy needs to be 100% supervised when outside the crate, for 2-3 weeks. Not 99% supervised, but 100%. If you're not directly watching and interacting, they need to go into their crate. They can't, of course, spend their entire time in the crate: there needs to be some quality of life. But you you can't let them walk through a door without you. Having them on leash in the house works, or you just hawking their every move works. But you can't let them out of your sight for a minute: they'll use that minute to poop and pee.
1a. This needs to be 2-3 weeks long. Don't cut it short when things are looking like they're going well. The training needs to take.
2. Pattern recognition. I discovered that our puppy often needed to poop twice. So trips outside didn't end with a single poop and back in, we stretched them out, so she had more opportunity to go again. I was thinking the same thing as you, that she was messing with me by pooping in the house immediately after a walk, but no, she just still needed to go.
3. Rewards. Interaction inside was rewarding, and lots of praise for going outside.
4. I was told to randomize trips outside, to not schedule them, and told to not take her out every hour, but make her wait 3 hours or so. I think that was good advice. She doesn't depend on being on a rigid schedule, and it trained her to hold it some, to not expect to be able to relieve herself every hour.

There were times I was in the back yard with her for an hour, waiting for her to poop. She seemed to feel a lot more secure, pooping in the house, and liked pooping outside much less. It took three or four times outside where I waited and waited and waited for the poop, and then gave her lots of praise and took her on a nice long walk afterwards. Walks are good rewards: walks aren't poop runs to be rewarded with being taken inside. Being taken inside isn't the most awesome thing for our dog... a good walk is much better, in her eyes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First of all, I want to introduce my puppy so I made 2 videos about him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9QGNnOMvzI&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxrSTksxh80&feature=plcp

Now for the next order of business. I don't know why but it seems like nothing that I have tried suggested from here has worked. I have been walking chewie every day about 2-3 times a day, taking him to the same exact spot. He pees and poos in the exact spots all the time now. I have also taken to walking him longer and he ends up pooping again, which is good.

Also today I tried having him out of the kennel next to me. It sucks that my puppy already relates his leash to going out to potty, so I have been just keeping him next to me at all times. Until this happened.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhahpLtaPno&feature=plcp
and right after that, He peed a couple of drops also right next to me. Like a minute later, he ran upstairs, and when I went up too, he has peed AGAIN and pooped twice more! This all right after I had walked him about an hour ago.

He has his poop spot outside, I take him out as much as I can, and I keep him next to me at all times, yet he still does this. If anything, it feels like he is actually behaving worse than how he was when I was punishing him for going inside. Its almost like he is looking for praise for doing this inside, simply because I give him so much praise when he does it outside

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I think someone else mentioned that taking your dog outside 2-3 times a day is not enough. I totally agree, especially for a non-housebroken dog. You should be taking him out every hour to start. If 2-3 times a day is "as much as you can," I think you need to seriously rethink your priorities, and I don't mean to be mean by saying that. Your dog doesn't understand that "inside" isn't a potty, and furthermore you're simply asking him to hold it for too long. For comparison, my dog (who is 1.5 years old and very housetrained) goes out 5 times a day on average.

I don't really see where you're following our suggestions. You've been told to supervise your dog 100% and take him out a lot. You've said you take him out 2-3 times a day and let him get away from you to have accidents.

Why would it be a bad thing that your dog associates his leash with going outside? Sorry but that makes no sense. Can you please explain more?

Anyway, I know this is frustrating but blaming your dog and ascribing him motivations like "he's looking for praise for peeing inside" are really counterproductive. He doesn't mean to do this. He just can't help it! You have to train yourself in order to train him. You're not giving him the tools he needs to succeed. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's the honest truth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Planning our wedding, me and my fiance are usually out of the house from 10am all the way to 10pm. So we usually only have the morning and night to walk our dogs. I start working monday as a school teacher. I would be out of the house until 4+pm. I could have my fiance help me walk my dog, but it would be as much as she walks her dog (which is also 2-3 times a day. and she never has accidents)

Oh what I said about the leash was that ppl are saying to have my dog tethered to me with the leash. and he sees the leash as kinda permission to do everything.

·
Registered
583 Posts
why not go back to basics? treat him like a small puppy, go outside with him every 30 minutes or so when you are there giving him a command this could be 'go potty', 'be quick' whatever works. my dog only ever does his business in our garden never on a walk my friends dog however only does his business on their walks, never in the garden.
oh, and if he is still going to the toilet inside that means that he really hasnt 'got' where you want him to go.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Planning our wedding, me and my fiance are usually out of the house from 10am all the way to 10pm. So we usually only have the morning and night to walk our dogs. I start working monday as a school teacher. I would be out of the house until 4+pm. I could have my fiance help me walk my dog, but it would be as much as she walks her dog (which is also 2-3 times a day. and she never has accidents)

Oh what I said about the leash was that ppl are saying to have my dog tethered to me with the leash. and he sees the leash as kinda permission to do everything.
1. Really? You spend 12 hours a day every day planning your wedding? That must be... some wedding.
2. Your fiancee's dog is housetrained. Yours is not. Housetraining a dog involves taking it out more often. That is just a fact. If you want to ignore this universal fact of housetraining wisdom and expect your dog to somehow figure it out on his own, then be my guest.
3. If you don't have time to take your puppy out more often, then I strongly recommend at least hiring a dog walker for now.
4. The leash thing still makes no sense, sorry.

And I'm out! There are tons of books and online resources about how to housetrain a puppy. You seem intent on ignoring all of that, and all the good advice you've received here, and are now wondering why it hasn't worked yet. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
I used this... it really worked for me. http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/errorless-housetraining

Read this as well (or at least the last page of it): http://avsabonline.org/uploads/position_statements/Combined_Punishment_Statements.pdf

Also, I'm not saying this to be mean, so please don't take it that way, but are you sure you really want this dog? I can't imagine that being crated constantly and only coming out to pee/poop and eat is much of a life. Maybe you should consider rehoming to someone who has more time for not only training, but playing with and walking the dog.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Are you taking him outside to potty only 2-3 times a day? If yes, then yikes. I will tell you what worked with a dog we had that was harder to housebreak. First of all, remember that any accidents he has are just that, accidents and they are your fault (your=humans). Take him outside after he eats, drinks, naps and plays. Take him outside first thing in the morning and last thing at night. If you see him start to go inside, you say NO (you say it, you don't yell it) and you take him directly outside. You don't stop to put on clothes or shoes, you go. If that means that you always have something on your body or your feet, so be it. You must monitor him, that means if you can't have eyes on him, he gets crated. He only gets crated when you can't watch him, not all the time. Tether him to you if you must, that works well for some people. The dog can't potty in the house if you're watching him.
Stop punishing him, stop crating him so much and start taking him outside.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I used this... it really worked for me. http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/errorless-housetraining

Read this as well (or at least the last page of it): http://avsabonline.org/uploads/position_statements/Combined_Punishment_Statements.pdf

Also, I'm not saying this to be mean, so please don't take it that way, but are you sure you really want this dog? I can't imagine that being crated constantly and only coming out to pee/poop and eat is much of a life. Maybe you should consider rehoming to someone who has more time for not only training, but playing with and walking the dog.
I agree. With a wedding in the works it doesn't seem like there will be more time in the future either. You really cannot leave a dog in a crate all day. The reason dogs can hold it for so long at night is because when asleep, bodily functions slow down.

Also maybe over feeding or a low quality food could be causing your dog to poop a lot. What and how much do you feed?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Our puppy is a week shy of 8 months old. He is crated for 8 hrs or so overnight, then goes out around 7, 9, 12, 4:30, then we're generally out and in all evening, to the park for an hour or two, playing in the yard, back and forth to the garden etc... so I'm not sure of exactly how often he's going in the evening. His last potty break of the night is between 10 and 11. Two to three times a day is just asking for trouble!! We've had him from eight weeks as well, and for the first three months, he was never more than an arm's grab away, and we took him outside every 20-30 minutes for the first month, gradually lengthening the time if he wasn't going every time. If he got out of arm's reach and went on the floor, it was ALWAYS our fault - we got distracted, and took our eyes off of him. The other thing that helped was getting the pup tired. When he's getting enough exercise out and about, then when he's in the house, he's generally passed out somewhere, or sitting quietly working on a chewy. I think you need to go back to the drawing board and even if you can't have him on leash all the time for whatever reason, have him within grabbing distance and don't take your eyes off of him. Keeping him in the crate all the time isn't going to teach him not to go in the house! It's just going to teach him not to go in the crate. Hire a dog walker to come over a few times a day if you aren't home. (FWIW - I planned my own wedding two years ago, and it didn't take 12 hrs/day.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts