Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I have a 7 month old Jack Russell X chihuahua. We got her at 4 months.
She sleeps in a crate overnight. She settles to bed fine each night.
Issue is that she is waking every night for a wee/poo. She'll go out between 10-11pm for last time each night right before bed. Then will wake anywhere from 2.30-5am. I keep it dark, take her out, she'll wee/poo or both, then I'll put her back in to crate. Most often she'll go back to sleep, maybe whine for a few mins first.
I'm wondering if she's likely to grow out of this? And start going through a little longer?
My other half suggested ignoring her, which we tried a couple of months ago and woke to find she'd pooped in the crate. As she is actually weeing/pooping each night I don't want to ignore her because she obviously needs to go and isn't doing it just for attention.
She eats dry food around 6/7pm. Doesn't drink loads so we haven't removed water later in evenings.
Any suggestions welcome, I struggle to get back to sleep so I'm exhausted. Thanks

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
At only seven months, she's still very much a baby. My German Shepherd was nearly two before she quit needing a potty trip in the wee hours. If I ignored, or didn't hear, her fussing I would be cleaning a crate and bathing a dog. Eventually, she outgrew it, and has been known to hold it for over twelve hours (extenuating circumstances, not routine).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts