Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I'm new here so hello everyone : ) My name is Heather!

I have a beautiful puppy named Jasmine who I love! She is sweet and very protective over myself and my 6 week old daughter. Jasmine lived with my mom and I when we first got her at 6 weeks old back in December. She was not around men until my husband and I moved in together about 3 months ago. She is afraid of my husband because he is a man and because he is a bit more stern with her then I am. She is finally almost 100% house trained which is awesome(I've moved ALOT since I got her so it has been hard) but new problems have developed..

She is part pug, jack russel, and min. pin. and jumps on EVERYONE. She also has a terrible problem with biting and barking. I am a First time dog owner and have no idea how to get her to stop these bad habits. We have tried spanking her and yelling ' NO' but it just makes her go even crazier. Someone please help! Any advice is appreciated. I should probably also mention that she is kennel trained.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Sounds like you have discovered that hitting and yelling don't work. That's good. :) So, no more hitting and yelling.

When does she bite? Is it aggressive or playful? And is she barking at someone at the door or what? Is she barking out of the window? Is she just barking to hear herself bark?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you have discovered that hitting and yelling don't work. That's good. :) So, no more hitting and yelling.

When does she bite? Is it aggressive or playful? And is she barking at someone at the door or what? Is she barking out of the window? Is she just barking to hear herself bark?
Yeah, we stopped hitting and yelling and I've now tried just ignoring the behavior but that just leaves me with scratches all over my arms and legs from her jumping and pain from her bites and nips. Not to mention a crying baby.

Usually she's fine if I'm sitting in bed with the baby she will sit there and be good but when I stand up she jumps on me and bites. If my husband is sitting in bed with the baby and I she barks at him. Anytime we are on the couch she usually jumps up to the couch(not aloud on it) and barks and bites. Anytime I walk through the house she is barking and biting. It's becoming something that does about 90% of the day. I've tried taking her outside to wear her out and she comes in and does the same behavior...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Usually she's fine if I'm sitting in bed with the baby she will sit there and be good but when I stand up she jumps on me and bites.
Is she on the bed? I wouldn't allow her on the bed.

Has this behavior gotten worse since the baby arrived?

I would start a strict NILIF program and obedience training. Has she been to an obedience class?

I just wanted to add that she might be pretty unsure of everything, having moved around so much, gotten a new man in the house and a baby, too. It sounds like she might be guarding you from your husband, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is she on the bed? I wouldn't allow her on the bed.

Has this behavior gotten worse since the baby arrived?

I would start a strict NILIF program and obedience training. Has she been to an obedience class?

I just wanted to add that she might be pretty unsure of everything, having moved around so much, gotten a new man in the house and a baby, too. It sounds like she might be guarding you from your husband, but I'm not sure.
We have aloud her to be on the bed because she is no longer aloud on the furniture and don't want her to feel like she isn't getting any attention but if it would help to not allow her on there I am willing to change that rule.

She has not been to an obedience class and we want to have her take one but we are struggling with money right now so we need to do whatever at home training we can until our funds can support and obedience class.

I do think the baby and the many changes have had an effect on her. She went from being aloud on the furniture and in my lap 24/7 to having to have boundries and no longer has the attention on her all the time. I do think she tries to protect us from my husband but she barks and jumps on me as well..

·
Banned
59 Posts
Some dogs do seem to have a preference for gender, and in your case, especially when she's never been socialized with men much often (assuming, of course).

Have your husband give your dogs treats when she is being calm. Maybe you guys are watching a movie and she's laying down; have him throw her a treat. If you keep that up, she will start to associate men with treats, treats being a good thing! Once she starts getting used to your husband a bit more, bring her out to socialize with other guy friends. Bring a little bag of food or treats along with you and have your guy friends throw her treats when she's being a good girl.

Edit: Also, NEVER hit your dog, even if it's just a spank. Hitting and yelling repetitively will only make things worse because the dog will become fearful and possibly aggressive. Instead, reward her for good behavior; positive reinforcement is a lot more effective than negative punishment, in my opinion. Dogs are much more responsive towards it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some dogs do seem to have a preference for gender, and in your case, especially when she's never been socialized with men much often (assuming, of course).

Have your husband give your dogs treats when she is being calm. Maybe you guys are watching a movie and she's laying down; have him throw her a treat. If you keep that up, she will start to associate men with treats, treats being a good thing! Once she starts getting used to your husband a bit more, bring her out to socialize with other guy friends. Bring a little bag of food or treats along with you and have your guy friends throw her treats when she's being a good girl.

Edit: Also, NEVER hit your dog, even if it's just a spank. Hitting and yelling repetitively will only make things worse because the dog will become fearful and possibly aggressive. Instead, reward her for good behavior; positive reinforcement is a lot more effective than negative punishment, in my opinion. Dogs are much more responsive towards it.
That is great advice! We will try that! As far as spanking. Like I said we have stopped doing that because it just made things worse but if we are not spanking her and she has an accident in the house how do we discipline her for that? We have always taken her nose to the accident and spanked her but if there is a better way I would like to know.

I just wanna say that I absolutely love my dog and wanna be the most owner I can! I just have no idea how to train a dog as I have had cats all my life!

·
Banned
59 Posts
I can see you love your puppy if you're willing to seek the advice! Training is such an important aspect of a dogs life; it makes them safer and very happy seeing as how most dogs are very willing to please their human companions.

As for the accidents, rubbing her nose in it isn't going to get your point across; she doesn't understand what you're trying to do essentially. Try to take your dog out a few minutes after every meal and maybe for a couple of long walks when you get the break, this can sometimes help to control urination. However, accidents will happen and there is a way to help it, but you have to catch her in the act.

If you see her in the act of urinating, quickly clap your hands, or say no, or any other loud noise that isn't very appeasing to your dog. If she is small enough to pick up, do so and immediately bring her outside. Every time she goes to the bathroom outside, give her lots of praise!

Never scold a dog for an accident if you find it many minutes or even hours later. Why? Dogs have a very limited short term memory and will not remember that it urinated within the house, so if you scold her, she won't know what she did wrong.

Also, if you have carpet in your house and she has urinated on it before, get the dog urine cleaning solutions (you can probably find them at PetSmart or a local pet store). Dogs have the tendency to go to the bathroom in the same place because they can smell that they have gone there before, but the solutions have special chemicals in them that take out those odors (instead of masking them) that make the dog want to urinate there again.

Edit: To find any spots where she has urinated before, you can purchase a blacklight, but I'm not sure how expensive they are.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I also wanted to add that if you can focus on the barking problem by ignoring her when she's barking and then when she's quiet, praise and/or treat her, she'll learn that she gets attention when she's calm and quiet and not when she's barking. And when I say ignore, I mean don't even look at her. Make her barking totally unproductive. She'll no longer have a reason to do it.

Also... The Bite Stops Here

Great advice from Wolfiee. :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I think NILIF will help a lot with that because she's demanding attention from you and NILIF teaches her that you give attention when YOU want to, not when she demands it. She has to work for everything she gets and to get attention, she has to stay down.

Ignore the jumping and train her to stay down by rewarding that. Teach a real strong sit and down.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Dogs also need exercise. Walk him twice a day for about 45 min, at a brisk pace, no stopping and sniffing. If he is not getting rid of excess energy, you are fighting a losing battle. Having your husband walk him during one of those walks will help him accept your husband.

Work on teaching him "down" to lay down. Then put him in the down position when he would normally want to jump on you. Teaching commands will engage his mind and tire him out mentally. Doen't need to be a long session, but 10 min twice a day will help.

One of the biggest things to remember when training is to teach what you want them to do, not what not to do. IE if they chew on something inappropriate, tell them "uh-uh" and hand them one of their toys. If they jump up, ask them to sit/down instead and reward.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
What you are experiencing is normal behaviour/confusion on the part of a dog that was not taught proper behaviour nor socialized properly as a young pup. This makes your job in training her a bit harder than if you had been able to start it in the beginning.

The advice you have gotten here is really good.
If you can't afford training classes then do some reading.
"The Puppy Whisperer" by Paul Owens or "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller have good basics on how to teach your pup what YOU want her to do. Miller's book also has sample training charts so you can learn how to progress and chart how things are going.
I will repeat, as written above.
No punishment for housetraining accidents. Use the crate, supervision and give her little or no freedom in the house while working on this. Reward her handsomely each time she goes outside and does her business. Clean up the mistakes and move on.
Encourage your husband to be "the giver of good things" by feeding the dog, walking the dog and doing mini training sessions with LOTS of really small but really yummy treats.
Do not allow her on the bed. I personally don't mind my dog on the furniture but if she was guarding it, that "freedom" would be removed. Period.
Don't feel bad about having rules, but enforce them with the understanding that she is confused, things have changed and she is stressed out with the change. Patience and consistency is key.
For exercise, both mental (training sessions) and physical is needed. People often think exercise is the only way to tire out a dog, but being a JRT mix, sometimes that can backfire as excessive exercise can become excessive stimulation. She needs to use her BRAIN as well as her body to be the "tired dog is a good dog".
Good luck.

·
Banned
59 Posts
What about the jumping?
What FourIsCompany stated would be my answer as well.

Every time she jumps, turn your back, cross your arms, and ignore her until she is simply sitting and looking up at you. Once she stays quiet and sitting, reward her with praise or a small treat. Eventually, she will understand that not jumping and sitting patiently will get her good things.

It's also important that your dog knows the basic commands, it can also help strengthen the bond between you and your dog. Have your husband try to teach her some of the basic commands as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's also important that your dog knows the basic commands, it can also help strengthen the bond between you and your dog. Have your husband try to teach her some of the basic commands as well.
I hate to sound really stupid but what is the best way to teach basic sit, lay down, and stay commands? I have triedt to teach her those and she has gotten better at sitting but cannot seem to get 'Down' and won't stay for anything.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I hate to sound really stupid but what is the best way to teach basic sit, lay down, and stay commands?
It's not stupid at all! :)

I work with each dog for about 5-10 minutes every day on various training. Short sessions will make it easier for your dog to learn. And after a while of doing it every day, your dog will look forward to the sessions and realize that she's learning something new.

Sit

I start out by holding a small but tempting treat in my hand and showing it to the dog. I then place it directly in front of his nose and move my hand, with the treat, slightly upward and backward. This causes the dog to move his head to follow the treat in a manner which naturally causes the dog to sit. As I make this hand movement, say the word, “Sit.” This word is used to give the dog a verbal cue to associate with the movement. If the use of the lure results in the dog sitting, I then give him the treat as a reward and praise him by saying, “Good sit.” Both the reward and the praise let the dog know that I am pleased with his actions. It also helps to associate the word, “Sit,” with the action of sitting.
Down

Watch the teaser video on that page for a great way to teach down. As soon as your dog is down, give her the treat.

Stay

·
Banned
59 Posts
When teaching your dog basic commands, the best thing to use would be treats. Eventually, you can eliminate the food and just reward her with praise or a toy.

Always start with sitting. It's the easiest command and probably the best one you can teach your dog. Start off by showing her the treat to get her attention, then motion her to sit while saying the word "sit." The dog will naturally try to figure out what you want from her and eventually sit down. When she does sit, say the word, praise her, and give her the treat. You can also try to lure her with the treats into a sitting position, wait until she sits, say "sit," then give her the treat. Repeat this until she will sit without you having to motion the treat around to do so.

The next thing to try would most likely be stay, because it's like an extension of "sit." Get her to sit, hold out your hand like a stop sign while saying the word "stay," then back up 5 feet or so. If she is still sitting by the time you back up, tell her to "come" and praise her/give her the treat when she reaches you. Most dogs won't get it right away, they get up and follow you, so it may take a couple of tries. I just recently taught my 10 week old puppy this and it took him about 5 tries.

Laying down is also a fairly simple command and probably the next best one. Get her to sit, show her the treat, and then bring the treat down to the floor while saying "down." Naturally, the dog will lay down to get it. If this is the case with your puppy, praise her and give her the treat.

Now, with my puppy, he sat and stared at the treat instead of going down, so I had to figure out another way to do it. Basically, I got him to sit, then sat down on the floor with my knees bent so they make a tunnel. I had him follow the treat under my legs until he laid down to get it. Once he did so, I said "down," then gave him praise and the treat. After a while, I stopped using my legs and just motioned my hand down while saying "down." At this point, he understood the word and would lay down.

Remember not to get too stressed out if it doesn't work right away. Depending on your dog's age, they can lose interest or focus easily and want to do something else. If that's the case, just do the exercises for about 10 minutes per day.

Eventually, once you think she's getting the hang of it, you can stop using treats and simply praise her when she does so. Make sure she knows one command before moving on to the next. Making her learn another one too quickly before she fully understands the previous one can result in confusion and frustration.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts