Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7 month old German short hair pointer tore a hole in her bed what are things that people have done to keep there dogs busy in the kennel so that doesn't happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
If she likes to tear up beds in her kennel, then she doesn't get a bed. It's okay to have them in a bare crate if they tear things up in there. If they eat the stuffing from bedding, it can cause a blockage and become very dangerous!

Instead, use fleece blankets. They don't tear into strings and are safer if the dog swallows the pieces. It's still not great if she purposefully eats it, so if she's that kind of pup, go bare crate, but if she just likes to tear things apart and typically spits it out, fleece blankets will be better.

She's a puppy, though, so no matter how many safe toys you put in her kennel, she'll probably want to tear apart the bed. It won't be forever, just until she grows up a bit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If she likes to tear up beds in her kennel, then she doesn't get a bed. It's okay to have them in a bare crate if they tear things up in there. If they eat the stuffing from bedding, it can cause a blockage and become very dangerous!

Instead, use fleece blankets. They don't tear into strings and are safer if the dog swallows the pieces. It's still not great if she purposefully eats it, so if she's that kind of pup, go bare crate, but if she just likes to tear things apart and typically spits it out, fleece blankets will be better.

She's a puppy, though, so no matter how many safe toys you put in her kennel, she'll probably want to tear apart the bed. It won't be forever, just until she grows up a bit.
Thanks for the info. This is the first time she has done it so I am hoping I could try toys before having to do that.

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
Thanks for the info. This is the first time she has done it so I am hoping I could try toys before having to do that.

You can try leaving her with a stuffed Kong toy, or another long lasting chew that doesn't require supervision. You don't want to leave her with anything she could potentially tear apart and swallow or choke on while you are gone. Unfortunately, bed ripping is a common issue with puppies, mostly because they don't understand that their bed is not a giant stuffed toy, and no toy will make them stop. Once they grow bored of their appropriate toy, they will turn to the not so appropriate one. They can't disembowel fleece blankets, or a bare crate, so it's less fun for them.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I know someone who uses a truck mud flap as a bed for their dog (in a dog trailer) because the dog tears up beds.

My one dog is a bed destroyer. His mother is a bed destroyer too (apple does not fall far from the tree). He gets no bed. He is fine on the bare crate floor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.