Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 7 month old rescue, part lab and shiba inu. She is crate phobic so we let her out twice in the morning and then put the water up, and then she is gated in the living room/kitchen area with all other doors closed.
Some days she doesn't pee inside, most days she does.
My spouse and I work too far away to go home at lunch and let her out. We have tried leaving the TV on, leaving the radio on, and she has one of those calming collars that has dog pheremones.

We praise her everytime she pees outside and we take her out a lot when we are home, every hour or every time she barks to go out.
Any idea what we can do other than hire someone to come let her out? Is this normal for a rescue this age? We have had her for a month and it seems like we are seeing little improvement.
Thanks!

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Yes, it can be normal for a dog of this age to still be working on bladder control. And, if no one is home to correct it, improvements will be small - also normal. Up the reinforcement and opportunities to reward. I would condition the dog to a crate as well - if not for the challenge, for the need.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Probably find the dog was an outside dog so being locked inside is not normal for her, but also stressful. Peeing is a sign of sepreration anxiety so you need to read up on this and start desensitizing her immediately. Dogstardaily (?) is a starting point.

You also need to ensure she has enough exercise, shortly before putting her away, so that she is played out and will sleep for several hours. SHe needs boredom buster toys such as food dispensing balls/cubes/kongs and something she can sit and chew. I use plastic water pipe ( ask your plumber) cut into 12in lengths.

If possible, a dog walker to take her out part way through the day would be a great help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts