Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new weimaraner puppy from the breeder yesterday. She is the runt of a litter of 9. She is very thin, hip bones are very prominent, but I assumed she would be a lot smaller being the runt and having to compete with 8 othre puppies for food. When I got her home after a 4 hour drive, she drank a TON of water and had a very hefty appetite. Her stools were soft, but not the consistency of diarrhea. Today, however, she had very watery tanish colored diarrhea, but as the day dragged on the consistency slowly became that of just tan water. It also has a pungent odor. The breeder fed the puppies purina puppy chow, which I bought her, as well as some pedigree wet food. I gave her the wet food with the dry food, to spoil her a little. I'm not sure if maybe that's the cause of the diarrhea? But her other symptoms include diarrhea with pungent odor of the stool, lethargy, and she refuses to eat or drink water. There are no traces of blood and no vomiting. She also already has her first round of shots, though she was not wormed. So far I've syringe fed her honey and water mix, along with some chicken broth. The syringe was needed because she refuses to drink or eat on her own. Her gums are still pink, though she seems really dehtdrated. Please help.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Take her to the vet. Now. This could be parvo, which could kill her if left untreated. Even if it's not parvo, dehydration is very bad for a puppy.

Also, for when she's better: Pedigree and Purina aren't very good foods. Check out this site or this one for info about all the foods out there.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Considering this sounds like a pretty crappy breeder, she could very well have parvo. Get her to a vet as quickly as you can. If all is well, like Cran said, I would change her food.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Yeah, if it is parvo, I'd be after the breeder for my money back. I don't know what kind of breeder lets one puppy end up super skinny and sick, sells it before it's 8 weeks old, and feeds a terrible food, but I can tell you it's not a good one. Did you sign a contract?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not sign a contract. I just paid 650$ for her and I can't afford parvo treatment if that's what it is, I've communicated with the breeder and she said they already have their first round of vaccinations including the vaccine for parvovirus. :( I have been giving her water with honey through a syringe, as well as chicken broth.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Here's the thing about vaccines.

When they are tiny babies, puppies get immunity to diseases from their mother's milk. This immunity wears off as the puppy ages, but it doesn't wear off at the same time for each puppy. If you vaccinate a puppy while it still has its immunity from the milk, the vaccine won't "take." It's not possible for us to know when a puppy's natural immunity has worn off and when the vaccine takes. This is why puppies are vaccinated three times, to make sure that one of them takes. This means that after one set of shots, or even two, a puppy can still get those diseases. Your puppy could absolutely have parvo. Now, does she? Hell if I know. You need to take her to a vet, or at the VERY least call a vet and describe the symptoms. Calling is free.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I did not sign a contract. I just paid 650$ for her and I can't afford parvo treatment if that's what it is, I've communicated with the breeder and she said they already have their first round of vaccinations including the vaccine for parvovirus. :( I have been giving her water with honey through a syringe, as well as chicken broth.
There is a reason puppies need 3 rounds of shots - one dose is not very (if at all) effective against the diseases for which puppies are usually vaccinated, which is why they need three shots (usually ending at 3-4 months) for the full effect.

If your puppy does have parvo, there is a 90% chance your puppy will die without any treatment. Some vet offices will allow you to do a payment plan. There are also pet health-care loans that you can apply for. If those options are not reasonable for you, I would contact the breeder and see if they will take the puppy back in exchange for your money. Since there was no contract, they probably won't, but it's worth a shot.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, but if you can't afford any vet treatment you really should have not gotten a puppy in the first place. Even if your puppy hadn't gotten sick right away, puppies get into things they're not supposed to.

Giving her water and honey and (low-sodium) chicken broth should help keep her hydrated and give her energy to fight off the infection. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
I'm not trying to sound harsh, but if you can't afford any vet treatment you really should have not gotten a puppy in the first place.
Especially a sickly-looking runt puppy from a bad breeder. That's just asking for high vet bills.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I'm not trying to sound harsh, but if you can't afford any vet treatment you really should have not gotten a puppy in the first place. Even if your puppy hadn't gotten sick right away, puppies get into things they're not supposed to.
This was what I was thinking....I just wouldn't have put it so nicely...which is why I didn't say it :D good luck and I hope your puppy lives, Did you get 2 puppies from the same breeder? If so and both puppies live then I would strongly read up on littermate syndrome because they can become quite the handful if you don't...just a suggestion

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Well, I hope we get some updates. Weims are one of my favorites and I really do hope the OP's puppy ends up okay. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand the criticism, I have the money to go ahead and get her seen, but parvo treatments are very expensive. I'm a stay at home mom and full time student, and my husband is currently deployed. The puppy was supposed to be a gift. She's getting worse, so I'm taking her in now, and hopefully we can get help and set up a payment plan

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Well, I hope we get some updates. Weims are one of my favorites and I really do hope the OP's puppy ends up okay. :(
I def hope she/he updates this because I too enjoy Weims but they are so high energy if they were a more laid back breed they would be a breed I would own :D they have an elegance and charm about them

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Glad to hear you're taking her in to the vet. I hope it's not parvo. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I understand the criticism, I have the money to go ahead and get her seen, but parvo treatments are very expensive. I'm a stay at home mom and full time student, and my husband is currently deployed. The puppy was supposed to be a gift. She's getting worse, so I'm taking her in now, and hopefully we can get help and set up a payment plan
I'm so glad to hear that. Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
We are very sad and don't want your puppy to die, I wouldn't wish any puppy to have parvo, I just wanted to say animals as gifts are a horrible idea...not trying to criticize but it usually doesn't end up well..... :( just saying :D I do hope your puppy gets well because no puppy should ever have parvo

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
If it is parvo, she will die without treatment and it is a sick way to die. You need to know that.

If you can't afford her, rehome her (please don't take her back to that breeder) and count your money as a loss.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
If it is parvo, she will die without treatment and it is a sick way to die. You need to know that.
If you don't believe HollowHeaven, I can describe it for you. My mom's dog died of parvo... because she couldn't afford treatment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey update, took her in, and got her looked at. She tested positive for Parvo. So 1700$ later she is getting everything she needs to make it. She has been hospitalized for 3 days so they can give her fluids intravenously, and protect her from getting infection. She is getting the works. Pulled the koney from savings. Though we've only had her for two days we love her. My son loves her. She's family. I didn't realize how much I had in savings cause I never check it (irresponsible, I know). She has an 85% chance with this method according to the vet and that's her best chance at survival. Keep her in your thoughts y'all and I'll keep updating y'all on her progress.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Hey update, took her in, and got her looked at. She tested positive for Parvo. So 1700$ later she is getting everything she needs to make it. She has been hospitalized for 3 days so they can give her fluids intravenously, and protect her from getting infection. She is getting the works. Pulled the koney from savings. Though we've only had her for two days we love her. My son loves her. She's family. I didn't realize how much I had in savings cause I never check it (irresponsible, I know). She has an 85% chance with this method according to the vet and that's her best chance at survival. Keep her in your thoughts y'all and I'll keep updating y'all on her progress.
Very sorry to hear it is indeed parvo, but I'm so glad to hear she is getting treatment. We're all pulling for her to get healthy again, please keep us updated!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts