1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
600 rescued dogs and 80% are pregnant
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008665665_puppies24m.html

Quote:
After authorities seized nearly 600 dogs in raids in two counties over the past week, the number is only expected to climb higher since most of the animals are pregnant and the puppies just keep coming.

"We've already had two litters born," said Bud Wessman, director of Everett Animal Services, which is caring for 155 dogs seized from a Snohomish County property on Jan. 16. "We have six that will give birth over the weekend and probably another 10 litters coming up in the next week."

The Snohomish County property has been linked to another property in Skagit County, where authorities seized another 135 dogs on Wednesday and returned Friday to seize the remaining 308. The owner of the Skagit County property, near Mount Vernon, is the mother of the woman who owns the Snohomish County property near Gold Bar.

The dog seizures in both counties have animal-control officials struggling to care for the crush of animals. Officials estimate about 80 percent of the 598 dogs are pregnant.

Most of the dogs are miniature Chihuahuas, shih tzus, poodles, Yorkshire terriers and so-called "designer" dogs, deputies said.
[QUOTE/]

Article continued on link. This is just disgusting... if 80% of the dogs are pregnant... 400 DOGS WILL HAVE PUPS!!! If they each have 3 pups... thats 1200 pups!!! RIDICULOUS!...
I might get words for this... but it's something like this that definitely requires E-Spaying of the ones that are not very far along. Uggh... how ridiculous!
Nessa

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
OMG that is beyond crazy. Was this like a puppy mill or just dumb people are what. How do you have so many dogs and how are that many pg YIKES!. I thought 80% would be 480. 400 is 80% of 500. So there will be even more pups! What are they going to do with all these new pups. It is amazingly terrible.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea teddy I got this from another forum... it is just ridiculous.

And Spicey, what are they going to do with all these pups? I guess the only semi good thing about it is that they are small breeds and "so called designer breeds" so they will be sought after more than likely. Either way... it is disgusting... there are too many... and something needs to be done before ALL of the pregnant ones have the puppies.
Nessa

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I have a feeling most of the dogs are going to end up being put down. I do hope they abort as many of the pregnancies as they can, as horrible as that sounds:( I just don't see how they will be able to find homes for 1000 or more dogs, even if they are small designer dogs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In all honesty, I hope most do get aborted pregnancies. It would just be cruel to have those dogs have puppies that are not going to have homes and end up being euthanized anyway. Better make it happen before they are born and suffer.

Hopefully some of these dogs get homes because lord knows 600 wouldn't be adopted let alone the other 1000 or so puppies. So hopefully a few do.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I am not a huge fan of the spay/abort, but in this case, it may be necessary. It will be difficult enough to adopt out 600 adult puppy mill retirees, but 1000 puppies? Not only will that be darn near impossible, but it will make it even harder for the adults to get adopted if there are 1000 tiny puppies too. IDK, situations like this make me really dislike some people.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Have these dogs actually been surrendered or is the court case still pending? Thta may make some difference. That IS the point of due process.

OTOH, mill busts like this, with the accompanying big publicity usually adopt out pretty easily, even with middle-aged and older dogs- at least, that's been my experience in the past.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Wow... this is one of the worst mill stories I've read yet. 400+ pregnant dogs is huge.

It makes me wonder how much money these mill owners really make. Like, think about it. 400 dogs pregnant, average litter size of say.... 5 (low estimate due to health problems from being at a mill)? 2000 puppies. Taking a conservative estimate, lets say the pups go for 500 a piece. That's a million dollars. That's a whole lot of money.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Probably drop your 'average puppy' estimate to 3- mostly these ARE small breeds after all. There used to be a document on nopuppymills.com but the average price a broker pays for puppy mill dogs is something like $200. So they're making money for sure, but it's not a HUGE amount- or they'd be in places OTHER than the midwest where COL is so high.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Probably drop your 'average puppy' estimate to 3- mostly these ARE small breeds after all. There used to be a document on nopuppymills.com but the average price a broker pays for puppy mill dogs is something like $200. So they're making money for sure, but it's not a HUGE amount- or they'd be in places OTHER than the midwest where COL is so high.
True.

The litter size was a total guess. I do know, however, that in my area (yeah, the midwest) that puppy mill dogs DO go for 500 very easily. People around here pay 1000 and think they're getting a rare dog that is the perfect "breed". Then they look at me like I'm crazy when I got my BYB elkie for 200$ and will probably pay 2k for my ibizan! :p

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
True.

The litter size was a total guess. I do know, however, that in my area (yeah, the midwest) that puppy mill dogs DO go for 500 very easily. People around here pay 1000 and think they're getting a rare dog that is the perfect "breed". Then they look at me like I'm crazy when I got my BYB elkie for 200$ and will probably pay 2k for my ibizan! :p
Oh, absolutely they do at retail. (Go look at the classified ads in papers from that part of the country- you can get a good idea from that.) But mills- at least partially by definition- sell wholesale to brokers, who then sell to the retail market.

There's a lot of good stuff about the economics that make the whole thing work (and NOT work) on nopuppymills.com. Bullmarketfrogs.com/blog has some other good articles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's heartbreaking to know what will happen. I will not agree with the abortion, just because it's my opinion, but the adoptions are gonna be hard. Puppies go rapid fire, so if they spread out where these guys are going they have more of a chance. Puppies could go into foster care until almost immediately they'll get picked. The adult dogs, however, not only have health problems, but have a very small chance of being adopted, so I'm afraid that they will die.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts