Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Papa Bear is a 6 yr old Bernese, a handsome devil who is constantly having his photo snapped - not the breed standard with one blue eye and one brown but stunning and LARGE (115 pounds). Like all lumbering giants, he's been as happy to sleep at my feet while I work in my office, patient, happy, quiet.

In the last week his behavior has changed. He paces and barks (not a painful whimper but a needy kind of annoying bark) intermittently for five to eight hours at night, demanding to go out on what is now a cold damp brick patio, or trying (hip dysplasia mild was diagnosed at six months) to jump on my bed.

A trip to the vet and four tramadol twice a day as he is reactive now to pressure near his lower hind quarters. Along with the once a day liquid non-steroid medicine. The tramadol is not changing a thing and he is still restless. Apart from the dysplasia, he's healthy and his eating/drinking/let's have a fun small walk as often as possible is the same - zero aggression or moodiness.

Completely flummoxed.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Tramadol can make them restless, whiney as a side effect. talk to your vet about trying an NSAID like metacam, rimadyl, Previcox.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I would let your vet know the results (or lack of) you are having with Tramadol. There are other choices available. Some dogs do better with one, over another.

Did your vet also perform a blood panel?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Tramadol caused my girl to become moody and long term usage of steroids
(before we got him) has caused my Riley to have issues with his bladder.. May be time for a recheck of situations and a "remodel" of treatment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts