Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 y.o. Border Collie/Aussie mix, Daisy. Lately she has been having trouble getting up when she lays down. When she does lay down, she only lays on her side with her back legs strategically placed. She still runs, just not for long distances. Sometimes she limps. The pain seems to be contained mostly in her right rear leg. I have been doing a lot of research on Hip Dysplasia and Arthritis. I am really hoping that this can be easily treated. I was looking for some more input on this. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
We just went through the same thing with our Spring Spaniel mix. Take your dog to your vet and get x-rays. S/he should be able to diagnose what is wrong and give you options to proceed accordingly.

As I type this my husband is on his way home with Pepper who was just diagnosed with arthritis in her hips and a problem with her knee caps. She's 3 y.o.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Without x-rays, everything else is just a guess. My three year old aussie mix was just diagnosed with arthritis in one hip also. Her symptom was trouble getting up after laying down. She still runs around too. I think she runs even if it hurts, she just can't help herself. Schedule an appointment with your vet. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. The only time she seems to have issues is while she is getting up and after. She does still run. She just can't help herself. :) My husband called the vet and has gotten her an appointment for next week. This has been going on for a few months, but has just recently gotten worse. From everything that I have read hip problems are just something that comes with a working dog. :(
Thanks again for your suggestions!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts