Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Before I get started, I understand that 6 weeks is very young (too young) to take the puppy from the mother/littermates. A lady was rehoming the litter and she needed to get rid of them ASAP (no idea why) and they weren't in the best conditions anyways.

I got a 6 week old Malamute /Great Pyrenees mix named Lynyrd a few days ago. My 1 year old Siberian husky Lola needed a companion.
While Lynyrd is quite possibly the cutest thing I've ever seen, I am started to very much dislike his company. He SCREAMS and howls whenever it is time to crate him, which is never more than a few hours at a time aside from bed time. He has a very cozy crate with a bed, blanket, his old collar(only thing they gave me), a shirt of mine, and lots of chew toys and interactive toys. He totally ignores them and won't eat any treats when the kennel is shut. I have not slept whatsoever and I feel like a terrible dog owner because there is no soothing him unless of course I take him out. He cries even when he doesn't need to go potty. typically my husky sleeps with me at night but I now put both crates next to each other (crates have always been in my room) and he is more quiet tonight than previously, which is great- but still squawking loudly when I put him in there. He will only walk in the crate willing if his food dish is full and in there and sometimes will only take a bite and then cry. Anyways- SOS please help!! I don't know what to do and I am exhausted and beginning to wonder why I thought a pup was a great idea. I have ordered the adaptil diffuser and some additional interactive toys and a calming spray for him. On occasion I have given him some herbal anxiety drops which made him cry for a shorter amount of time due to being tired. My husky loves him but can't stand when he screams- she can get a little anxious at times as well so I am concerned about how long this will last.

Thank you in advanced!!

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
know your not going to like this but it's an "infant" and only a few days new to you, and its also part of a breed that is known for being vocal. Your right way too young to be taken away from it's dam and litter mates. We as humans are not substitutes that they can understand. I hope you can have some compassion that this pup needs your understanding and patience.. Even with an older pup some are more needy then others that other owners are not getting the full cycle of sleep. Work with what you can do.. Your pup needs to sleep majority of the time for his age, so may be cranky for not getting enough sleep. get them on a schedule of multiple small meals ( I would think 4 meals a day for a x large breed puppy) built a daily routine for feeding, potty, and quality time along with naps through out the day. A solid consistent routine is very calming for a pup to learn to anticipate.

If your pup is what you think it is.. Malamute, GP, and ASD that is one strong non social may be highly defensive to humans and other dogs mix of breeding to need to handle when they come into ful maturity.

Congratulations on your pup.. Suck it up forget about your needs,, and focus on getting this pup off to a great start in your care....

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sounds like the puppy blues! Sleep deprivation amplifies everything and will make all of this seem worse for a while. Things will get better! A lot of the crying at that age is pure instinct ("Help! I'm separated from the rest of my family, and I have to cry until they find me lest I get eaten out here on my own!") and should improve as Lynyrd figures out that you/Lola are his family now.

I would often let my puppy fall asleep in my lap, then carry her over to the crate and let her stumble in and take the rest of her nap in there. The Snuggle Puppy (a stuffed toy that you put a little heartbeat generator and heat pack into) was also really helpful those first few nights, because it feels like another sleeping littermate is in the crate with puppy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts