Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more just a cry for solidarity than a cry for help. I had a good today with my puppy and so I'm feeling gracious. :relaxed: I adopted my rescue puppy about 2 weeks ago. She is a normal energetic puppy with normal puppy problems and for that I am grateful, but man am I a bit overwhelmed. From vet visits to changes in schedule, training, to lack of privacy, I definitely did some crying.

I am crate training her because I really feel it is best for her safety and my furniture but sometimes I feel guilty (I let myself get embroiled in the pro crate/anti crate discussions). I can't wait until I don't have to lock her in and can trust her to roam a little in the house. She is a chewer.

I just want to keep reminding myself that it will get better, that she will be able to sleep while I get up and walk around rather than her wanting to accompany me or my boyfriend everywhere. That my boyfriend and I will be able to have private time. It is just day by day. And when I look into her beautiful brown eyes I know it's worth it. But man am I sleepy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
oh I for sure understand what your going through! Several times when Olive was a puppy I asked myself "So I thought this was supposed to be FUN? Because it isn't." :doh:Hahhaaha. but it does get better - and faster than you think.
My biggest recommendation is staying as consistent as possible with puppy's schedule. Then they start knowing what to expect and knowing that things are ok.
They start learning that crate time is not forever, when it's food time, when it's play time, etc.
The crate for us was hard at first. But we tried to put her in when we knew she'd naturally be settling down for a nap - after a meal - potty - and a good play session. Yes she'd cry but then she'd settle.
It's valuable thing to have a dog who can handle being in a crate - even if you don't use it for their adult life.

Good Luck. Puppies are hard but they are fun too!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh I for sure understand what your going through! Several times when Olive was a puppy I asked myself "So I thought this was supposed to be FUN? Because it isn't."
Hahhaaha. but it does get better - and faster than you think.
My biggest recommendation is staying as consistent as possible with puppy's schedule. Then they start knowing what to expect and knowing that things are ok.
They start learning that crate time is not forever, when it's food time, when it's play time, etc.
The crate for us was hard at first. But we tried to put her in when we knew she'd naturally be settling down for a nap - after a meal - potty - and a good play session. Yes she'd cry but then she'd settle.
It's valuable thing to have a dog who can handle being in a crate - even if you don't use it for their adult life.

Good Luck. Puppies are hard but they are fun too!

Definitely trying to create a schedule. Unfortunately she decided to develop the bad habit of chewing on her crate this past few days. We left her in the morning today but came back because she was literally bending the crate biting it. I can't have her hurting herself. The interesting part is that we crated her for a little this weekend to build some furniture and we put her in the room with us thinking it would calm her down, but that's when the crate biting started in earnest! I waited until she stopped to take her out so she wouldn't think she could whine and bite to be free, but we have to rethink our strategy because her health and safety is most important. Sigh. I want to get her in doggie day care because I think it will help her high energy self bu I have to wait until she's spayed and has her rabies shot (soon soon!) So we just have to live with it for now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you give her a stuffed Kong when you put her in the crate? Olive wasn't food motivated at all but your pup might be. They key is to put something really enticing in the kong. some pups like peanut butter (watch out for the new versions that have Xylitol added for sweetness! It's poisonous to dogs!) or canned pumpkin is pretty yummy. Also a BIG play session before you plan to put her in the crate can help her naturally settle down. But I hear ya - it's hard to determine when the crate is doing more harm than good.

·
Registered
788 Posts
This is more just a cry for solidarity than a cry for help. I had a good today with my puppy and so I'm feeling gracious. :relaxed: I adopted my rescue puppy about 2 weeks ago. She is a normal energetic puppy with normal puppy problems and for that I am grateful, but man am I a bit overwhelmed. From vet visits to changes in schedule, training, to lack of privacy, I definitely did some crying.

I am crate training her because I really feel it is best for her safety and my furniture but sometimes I feel guilty (I let myself get embroiled in the pro crate/anti crate discussions). I can't wait until I don't have to lock her in and can trust her to roam a little in the house. She is a chewer.

I just want to keep reminding myself that it will get better, that she will be able to sleep while I get up and walk around rather than her wanting to accompany me or my boyfriend everywhere. That my boyfriend and I will be able to have private time. It is just day by day. And when I look into her beautiful brown eyes I know it's worth it. But man am I sleepy.
I describe puppyhood as every day being 4 steps forward and 3 steps back. That's because 3 steps forward and 2 steps back would be too easy. It gets a lot better at 5ish months. They pee less, start getting it and just are more developed by then. Elicit some help from friends and family.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Do you give her a stuffed Kong when you put her in the crate? Olive wasn't food motivated at all but your pup might be. They key is to put something really enticing in the kong. some pups like peanut butter (watch out for the new versions that have Xylitol added for sweetness! It's poisonous to dogs!) or canned pumpkin is pretty yummy. Also a BIG play session before you plan to put her in the crate can help her naturally settle down. But I hear ya - it's hard to determine when the crate is doing more harm than good.
Just hopping on to say yes to this. We used a yogurt and kibble mix with a little cheese stuffed right in the top to make it more enticing. This + tired puppy if we could manage it with 15-20 mins of calm right before + lots of work with the crate when we weren't going out to make it safe and fun + having no big deal goodbyes and hellos all really helped. We still do these things before leaving and coming home again even though our pup is no longer crated. Good luck :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just wanted to chime in and say I hear ya! We've had Kaya for 5 months now, she is just about 8 months old. I often like to say having a puppy is harder than have an infant, but I don't have one of those yet haha. We have experienced all that youre going through. She is just ending her puppy adolescence phase (which if you haven't gone through, brace yourself)! Here is what we have learned from puppyhood:

Teething happens longer than you think. Give her ice cubes or homemade puppy ice cream (peanutbutter, plain yogurt, bananas), it will help her gums.

She's a chewer? So is mine. Learn what she can chew safely and unsupervised, you'll thank yourself later for a few minutes of peace and quiet. For a special reward on days where she is extra full of it, we give her a box like from Amazon or a 12 pack box for her to "kill" since she cant have stuffed animals anymore. She loves it!

DO NOT LET HER WIN in the crate. Let her cry it out. Even if it is 4am and she's been crying and whining for 2 hours. Leave and sleep on the couch.

Take a break in the other room when she is calm. This will help her to not expect to be with you and your boyfriend 24/7. We have a huge issue with that. You will eventually get alone time together again, I promise.

Don't feel bad about crating her. Its for her safety and so you dont get mad at her for eating your stuff. As long as she gets the exercise, love, and play that she needs, she will be just fine spending time in the crate.

Most importantly: GIVE YOUR DOG A BRAIN. Your dog needs to be mentally stimulated, it likes to work and it needs a job to do. This will result and a tuckered out pooch and quiet TV time for you and your boyfriend. Trick train her, play games with her like "find it", "hide and seek", make home made puzzle toys for her. If you like hiking with her, buy her a doggie backpack. They feel like they are doing a job with it on and they are way more tired afterwards if you let them carry their own stuff like water and snacks.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Oh boy I should have taped Lincoln's crate fits, they were uber-dramatic LOL. Not just whining, but THROWING himself against the door of the crate like a bull, bouncing around, digging ... he was awful.

He never learned to LIKE the crate, but he did learn to tolerate it and will go in during the day to sleep, but he is 14 months old LOL and at 9 months he wasnt easy haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts