Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to the group. I joined because I'm worried about my 6 1/2 month old puppy, Bear (he's a Shih Tzu mix) who's been refusing food for over a month now. He was very food motivated when I first got him, in fact he would inhale any food I gave him and look for more. Then two days after I had to put my 15 year old Shih Tzu, Duke down it was like a switch went off and he started refusing food. I thought he was reacting to Duke being gone, but after a few days of barely eating I decided to take him to his veterinarian. The vet checked him over and said he looks healthy and is probably mourning Duke being gone. I've been trying everything to get him to eat, including cooking chicken and rice, but he's become beyond picky and walks away from most everything. I read that puppies can get sick if they don't eat, so I started hand feeding him and even placing the food in his mouth to make him eat it. He's been to the vet a total of 3 times and has had a blood and urine test, which are all normal. The last visit I asked if it was okay to take the food away and wait until the next meal to offer it to him, even if he doesn't eat for a day. It's been 4 days of trying this and the most he's eaten is maybe a 1/4 cup of kibble. Yesterday he vomited yellowish bile and today it was brown. I looked online and read that this could mean an obstruction. He's been playing normally and drinking water until today. He seemed energetic this morning, but has been sleeping all day. I'm really worried now. I made an appointment with a different vet and may have an ultrasound done. It's going to be about $700, so I'm hoping to hear from someone who has had similar experience. I hope I'm being overly worried.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
You need to go back to the vet. Now. He may have a bacterial infection based on the recent symptoms.

Tell the vet that the dog is not eating, and is lethargic and has vomited bile. If there is a blockage this is an emergency. If it is a bloat situation by the time you read this it is likely too late.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. Bear had a complete blood and urine test done a few days ago and everything was normal. He also hasn't had any diarrhea. He has been eating a small amount of food off and on since this all started. Last week his vet told me it was okay to try the method of picking up his food dish when and offering the same food for the next meal. He had maybe 2 tablespoons of food in 2 days, so I'm thinkinig the vomiting was from having an empty stomach. Last night after my post I was able to get him to eat a full meal by placing the food in his mouth then after a couple of bites he finished the rest on his own. He perked up after eating last night and back to being playful this morning. He even ate a decent amount of kibble this morning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts