Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the military and finally stationed stateside I brought my older pomeranian home with me and decided to get him a friend. My babygirl Lily. Boy has it been hard! I am currently on maternity leave at my parents house. Yes I also have a newborn and my husband is gone for 9 months! Alot I know! Lol well I am at my parents and have been trying my best to train her and it has been a nightmare. I have tried the pads I have tried scolding her but not hitting. We keep her outside in an area where she could learn thats where she should use the restroom. Even when inside we take her out very frequently. Outside I give her treats when she uses the bathroom and say good job (Doesnt get a treat every time). I am starting her with crate training this week with hopes that she will learn where to use the restroom. This has been my last resort. I have never liked using the crate. Makes me feel guilty but I need to make progress with her before the baby starts crawling. So currently she uses the restroom pretty much everywhere. We could have her outside for a couple hours which she loves it bring her in first two seconds in the door it feels like and she tinkles right on the floor. She does use the restroom outside to but I almost feel like she cant hold it or has an overactive bladder. I even thought maybe she might have a UTI so I am giving her drops. I have tried everythint I can thing of so If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Do not scold her, do not react with loud voice or harsh words and definitely do not use any physical punishment.

Do not leave her outside unattended. It means you do not have a chance to reward her for outside potty but it also means risks from digging, barking, eating bad plants etc.

Crate is not punishment but rather a safe and cozy den. Take her outside after waking, after food or drink, and after play. Reward with a small food treat every time. A piece of dry dog food is good or a plain cheerio or small bit of veggie like carrot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do not scold her, do not react with loud voice or harsh words and definitely do not use any physical punishment.

Do not leave her outside unattended. It means you do not have a chance to reward her for outside potty but it also means risks from digging, barking, eating bad plants etc.

Crate is not punishment but rather a safe and cozy den. Take her outside after waking, after food or drink, and after play. Reward with a small food treat every time. A piece of dry dog food is good or a plain cheerio or small bit of veggie like carrot.

I think the only thing I dont do is monitor her outside. We had to start keeping her outside longer because she was using the bathroom all over the house even when we would take her outside. Even going for a walk and coming back she still will come in and want to use the bathroom. I hope crate training works!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sounds like my Kaila, now 13 weeks old, when I first got her three weeks ago. She had been kept in a crate with no escape for two weeks before I got her. Needless to say, she simply went wherever she happened to be and, for the first week, thought inside was better than outside. would pee outside but not poop. Poor confused puppy.

Fortunately, she isn't my first puppy and, because we do live on a farm, the house is all hardwood and tile with only area rugs.

The rugs are put up for now, until Kaila is fully house trained. Cleaning is usually the biggest thing that gets puppies confused as to where to go. If you don't 100% remove the scent, they think they can go there again and, yes, it's a hassle when that's all over the house and, even in the crate.

This where a barely big enough for them to sleep in crates and a leash are a must. The dog is either crated or leased to you at all times except when you need to sleep. Even then at night, don't ask the puppy to hold it more than 1 hour per month of age, that means you have to get up in the middle of the night and take them out to potty.

Pick ONE place you want them to go, go there every time you want them to potty, every time they even remotely act like they might need to potty. Give them a command for pee and another for poop, say that command over and over softly as they are going then, praise and reward them with a treat or play as soon as the y finish going in the right spot. IGNORE ALL ACCIDENTS.

Clean up pee by first soaking it up with a towel or rag, then spray the area with white vinegar and blot again with a clean towel or rag. Apply baking soda, let dry then vacuum that up. That will remove all urine scent. For poop, use an enzymatic cleaner with detergent in it. Poop has some fat or oils and leaves a residue dogs can smell even if we can't. You need a cleaner that will remove all of that scent. I use a mixture of white vinegar and dish soap, then rinse with vinegar and, finish with baking soda as for urine.

If it's already all over the house without proper cleanup, Hire a professional floor cleaner and specify that you need pet odor removal done - it's worth it to get all of the odor out of every floor.

Now, if you plan to indoor train the puppy, then leave one room surface cleaned but not deodorized so well. Cover the entire floor of that room with pads, or dog litter if you're going for a litter box. Take puppy there and, praise and reward as with outside. Each week, shrink the area covered by pad or litter until you get to either a single pad or, a dog litter box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like my Kaila, now 13 weeks old, when I first got her three weeks ago. She had been kept in a crate with no escape for two weeks before I got her. Needless to say, she simply went wherever she happened to be and, for the first week, thought inside was better than outside. would pee outside but not poop. Poor confused puppy.

Fortunately, she isn't my first puppy and, because we do live on a farm, the house is all hardwood and tile with only area rugs.

The rugs are put up for now, until Kaila is fully house trained. Cleaning is usually the biggest thing that gets puppies confused as to where to go. If you don't 100% remove the scent, they think they can go there again and, yes, it's a hassle when that's all over the house and, even in the crate.

This where a barely big enough for them to sleep in crates and a leash are a must. The dog is either crated or leased to you at all times except when you need to sleep. Even then at night, don't ask the puppy to hold it more than 1 hour per month of age, that means you have to get up in the middle of the night and take them out to potty.

Pick ONE place you want them to go, go there every time you want them to potty, every time they even remotely act like they might need to potty. Give them a command for pee and another for poop, say that command over and over softly as they are going then, praise and reward them with a treat or play as soon as the y finish going in the right spot. IGNORE ALL ACCIDENTS.

Clean up pee by first soaking it up with a towel or rag, then spray the area with white vinegar and blot again with a clean towel or rag. Apply baking soda, let dry then vacuum that up. That will remove all urine scent. For poop, use an enzymatic cleaner with detergent in it. Poop has some fat or oils and leaves a residue dogs can smell even if we can't. You need a cleaner that will remove all of that scent. I use a mixture of white vinegar and dish soap, then rinse with vinegar and, finish with baking soda as for urine.

If it's already all over the house without proper cleanup, Hire a professional floor cleaner and specify that you need pet odor removal done - it's worth it to get all of the odor out of every floor.

Now, if you plan to indoor train the puppy, then leave one room surface cleaned but not deodorized so well. Cover the entire floor of that room with pads, or dog litter if you're going for a litter box. Take puppy there and, praise and reward as with outside. Each week, shrink the area covered by pad or litter until you get to either a single pad or, a dog litter box.

I had never thought about leashing her to me until I read on another post to do that so that actually might be my next move with the crate training! At my house I think I am going to have to hire someone I do have the enzymatic cleaner but I know theirs places that we have missed. At one point I tried using vinegar to get her to stop chewing on a certain area and she licked it up. I was like why... whyyyyy ha but I have since broken her of that. I was waking up in the middle of the night but not every hr. Im going to try and be more consistent and hopefully your tips will help. Thank you for the advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts