Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6-month old Miniature Dachshund who goes absolutely CRAZY by giving everyone continuous kisses (licking the mouth) and sometimes (not sure if by accident or not?) nips on noses.

We've only had him 2 1/2 months, but I know he is obedient as he sits at just the showing of my hand after training him.

To my surprise, no one really has a problem with it (including myself) -- BUT I want him to be more reserved with his excitement; more controlled.

Any tips on what to do?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Everyone needs to get on the same page with training the appropriate behavior. Unless you can convince the others, this will be a continual problem.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
The title of the post says jumping but your post says licking and biting. Is he jumping THAT high?

Sadie is an obsessive licker, and I tell people not to let her lick them, as she won't stop. If she licks me she gets a warning of a firm "UH UH" and if she keeps licking, I stand up and walk away. After a few weeks of me and DH doing this she does not lick me anymore unless I say "kisses". She will occasionally lick DH and he will say UH UH and when she stops, he pets her. She does it more with strangers and I ask them "please don't let her lick you even if you like it"

With the jumping, you have to be a tree and ignore the dog until it sits, then reward with petting. If they jump up as you lean down to pet, stand back up and wait.

Sometimes you'll get a dog that jumps once then sits. To deal with that I have someone hold the leash or tie it to a door, and approach the dog. As soon as they jump I turn back and start over. When they stay sitting or standing for the entire approach, they get a treat and pets. Then have friends and family practice to generalize it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts