Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 6 month old mix breed of a small dog we found and adopted while remodeling our house. She was maybe 6-8 weeks old when we found her wandering and scratching at the door of an abandoned house across the street. She's a sweetheart but we've been having issues with her at night recently. She's gone into her first heat within the last week or 2 and we have a male pit bull that isn't fixed so we keep an eye on them during the day and at night Baby, our little mix sleeps in the bedroom with us with the door closed. At first she was doing really well but within the last couple of days it seems like she's mad at us. She has diarrhea and we've laid down puppy pads but she avoids them and makes a trail of poop all over the bathroom and this morning all in front of the bedroom door. The first night I figured she just couldn't hold it because it was diarrhea and there was only a couple of little drip spots but this morning when we woke up it seemed as though she was mad at us for something because she completely avoided all of the puppy pads that have been laid down and made a trail everywhere! Can someone please help explain this to me because I do not understand why this has started and why she's completely avoiding her puppy pads! Unfortunately I think we're going to have to get a dog crate and she will have to start sleeping in there at night again. She slept in one as a puppy but as she got older she grew out of it and we just never got another one because she's always done so well with potty training. Does anyone have any suggestions or reasoning on why she has started acting like this? It's not just in one single pile or spot it's like she was walking and intentionally trying to drip it everywhere and nowhere near the potty pads.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
She needs to go to the vet to get the diarrhea sorted out.

If she's not familiar with puppy pads, then it stands to reason that she won't use them. Especially if she is otherwise house trained.

And if she's in season, you need to do more than just "keep an eye on them". They need to be separated with at least two barrier between them until after she is completely out of season. An accidental breeding can happen faster than you think, and once they are in the act, trying to separate them can injure both dogs, including breaking the male's penis.

·
Registered
837 Posts
And if she's in season, you need to do more than just "keep an eye on them". They need to be separated with at least two barrier between them until after she is completely out of season.
The above was my first reaction to your post. Keeping an eye on them just guarantees you a front row seat to an adult dog breeding a baby. Separate them and decide which one is going to be spayed or neutered as soon as this heat is over so you don't face this again.

In the meantime, if the diarrhea hasn't cleared up, get her to the vet. More than a day of diarrhea or diarrhea that doesn't respond to common home treatments such as fasting and bland diet calls for the vet. There can be causes of diarrhea other than just stomach upset such as parasites or bacteria overgrowth in the gut.

As to her being mad at you. Dogs' minds don't work like that. She's miserable and anxious and being a dog is trying to get away from the problem, which results in moving while having diarrhea. You see that kind of thing outside while walking a dog sometimes if they have problems. Yes, get a crate for her to sleep in, but that doesn't solve the health problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much! I never thought of it that way, that she's miserable and anxious and trying to get away from the problem. The diarrhea has cleared up and we didn't have any problems last night but I will definitely keep that in mind for the future. She was acting otherwise normal so taking her to the vet didn't occur to me. That also makes since about her not being familiar with puppy pads.
I will definitely keep them separated! I figured I could catch them before they got a chance to even "get started" but I didn't realize how quick it can happen. Thank you again for your time and explanations. I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
When I say "separated" I mean separated as in different rooms with at least one, and preferably two, solid barriers between them.... I've heard of dogs breeding through a wire crate or when the person was right there and happened to turn their back for a minute. And once they start... well, I guess a quick lesson on canine anatomy and physiology might be in order... the male's penis has what is called a bulbourethral gland (the "bump" you can see and feel on his sheath) that, when he has an erection, also swells, and prevents the penis from coming out of the bitch's vagina. This results in what it commonly called a tie, which can last anywhere from a few minutes to an hour(ish). Trying to get the dogs apart before the male's penis has returned to normal can result in serious injury.

Reactions: mustluvdogs66
1 - 5 of 5 Posts