Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I will be picking up an 8-week-old puppy in a week and will have a 6 hour drive home (no stops). I am expecting it to be closer to eight or nine hours with stops for potty breaks and food breaks. My boyfriend is driving. We will have a crate in the backseat for the puppy. I've never gone so far in a car with a dog before, even with my car-trained previous dog.
I always drive with the dog crated, so this is something he will have to learn, but I don't want to make him nervous of car rides after his second or third trip was so long with complete strangers.
I am planning on bringing toys, freeze-dried chicken and catfish skins to chew on, but I don't want to bring about an upset stomach either. I am okay with having him on my lap for part of the trip. If anyone has any experience or advice on this, I am open.
Thank you!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Every puppy I've ever gotten (3 total) have slept most of the way home. I usually have the puppy on my lap or my kids had the puppy on their lap. If we were a distance away, we would stop every two hours or so. ETA: I also never brought food with, just water. The breeder should advise on how long puppy can go between meals.

Be sure to bring lots of towels, paper towels, garbage bags and enzyme cleaner in case of accidents. Congratulations and good luck with your puppy.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Hi. I will be picking up an 8-week-old puppy in a week and will have a 6 hour drive home (no stops). I am expecting it to be closer to eight or nine hours with stops for potty breaks and food breaks. My boyfriend is driving. We will have a crate in the backseat for the puppy. I've never gone so far in a car with a dog before, even with my car-trained previous dog.
I always drive with the dog crated, so this is something he will have to learn, but I don't want to make him nervous of car rides after his second or third trip was so long with complete strangers.
I am planning on bringing toys, freeze-dried chicken and catfish skins to chew on, but I don't want to bring about an upset stomach either. I am okay with having him on my lap for part of the trip. If anyone has any experience or advice on this, I am open.
Thank you!
I'm going through the same thing tomorrow, granted it's only a 3.5 hour drive. A few questions for you, though - is your puppy already crate trained and comfortable in a crate? If he isn't crate trained, I'd recommend you prepare yourself for holding him on your lap and take the crate along with you as backup. Then you can experiment and see which situation makes him more comfortable. I see it go both ways - sometimes the puppy falls right asleep in the crate, sometimes it falls right asleep in someone's arms.

Either way, here's my list of things:

-puppy pads (either for your lap or for the inside of the crate)
-towels (for under the puppy pads and for cleaning purposes)
-water bottles (to wash puppy off if he pees/poops on himself)
-puppy wipes (to finish cleaning him off)
-paper towels (to clean up any mess that somehow makes it onto the upholstery)
-a few changes of clothes (because you just never know)
-garbage bags (for pee/poop messes until they can be thrown out, and to keep your potentially soiled clothes in until you can wash them)
-water bowl, collar, leash (for obvious reasons)

ETA: A very large box of puppy pads is something around $15.00 at Costco, don't buy them at the pet store, they're stupidly expensive.

I'd nix the treats, as they may just upset his stomach if he's never had them before.

Good luck with your puppy and I look forward to seeing if anyone can add anything else useful to my list!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hiraeth and Wonder,
Those are great suggestions! I did not have a few of those items on my list and can see the benefit of having them. The breeder already has him potty trained to not pee in bed thankfully and will have, at the very least, introduced him to a crate, so I will play it by ear and try to keep him comfortable for the duration. I've always gotten puppy pads on Amazon for fairly cheaply. I agree pet stores are expensive. ;)
Good luck with your new one, Hiraeth :)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
We drove 6 hours to pick up Kane when he was a puppy and 6 hours home. I kept him on my lap and he slept about half the time. I had some puppy chew toys he chewed on the rest of the time. I didn't bring anything edible.

Maybe split up your time between holding him and crating him. Play it by ear.

Congratulations on the new puppy! What breed is he?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Hiraeth and Wonder,
Those are great suggestions! I did not have a few of those items on my list and can see the benefit of having them. The breeder already has him potty trained to not pee in bed thankfully and will have, at the very least, introduced him to a crate, so I will play it by ear and try to keep him comfortable for the duration. I've always gotten puppy pads on Amazon for fairly cheaply. I agree pet stores are expensive. ;)
Good luck with your new one, Hiraeth :)
Thanks :) My new boy is crate trained, but I'd prefer to keep him on my lap unless he gets too heavy or squirmy. He's right around 26 lbs, so I'm going to have the backseat crate as a backup.

Awww, you'll have to post some photos of your puppy! While all puppies are pretty high on the adorable scale, I think spaniels tend to be higher than most :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Magic 6 weeks.jpg

I can't agree more that Spaniels are the cutest puppies!

The breeder just told me she is having the puppies listen to a CD to go to sleep now so we can use that to help keep him calm on the ride home. :) The breeder is also a great photographer and took that pic of him.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Maybe call your vet and ask how much benadryl you can give them (have on hand) if the need arises? We recently brought our 1 year old dog on a 5 hour car ride on vacation with us. Turns out she can't deal with anything over an hour. She started breathing/panting heavily and shaking. I called our vet and they said it was anxiety and to give her a tablet for the ride back.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
IME, puppies sleep for most of the ride anyway and neither of mine would chew on anything in the car. I would bring the crate, some water to give during potty breaks, and maybe a kong with some peanut butter. But it'll be fine. Towels too. I don't do puppy pads so I don't really see the use of those but couldn't hurt.

ETA: Just saw you're getting an ESS. Yay for more spaniels on the board! They are the best.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Don't worry about making the puppy afraid of cars. Just get it done. They're resiliant and it won't remember it after long. I'd not plan to put it in a kennel on a trip unless you enjoy hearing a puppy whine for hours on end. You're taking it away from the old world it knows. It will want some reassurance. Put towels and a sheet in the back. Hopefully it will go when you stop for pee stops, but it's a very young puppy. Little of what it does makes any sense. You'll soon learn what I mean. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
Resist the urge to carry the puppy in your lap. If the airbags deploy, it would likely be fatal. Even if they don't, and there's any kind of collision, your pup will become a projectile.

I'd vote for a crate.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Would it be possible to put crate next to you so you could put your hand in the crate? Could tie crate down so it is a little more safe and you get to handle your brand new pup at the same time. Best if you are a passenger of course.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Resist the urge to carry the puppy in your lap. If the airbags deploy, it would likely be fatal. Even if they don't, and there's any kind of collision, your pup will become a projectile.

I'd vote for a crate.
Ron,

This seems the most logical to me. I've read so many articles that say it's ok to bring the puppy home in your lap and then use a crate or seatbelts after the initial car ride. It doesn't make sense that an accident can't happen just because we are bringing home a puppy. We are over-protective people, if anything, so we will try to keep him in the crate the entire time and, hopefully, the blanket with "mommy smell" and the music he's used to hearing will help him settle into a sleep for at least the majority of the trip.

Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts