Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my crazy story.... I have a 5 yr old Chinese Crested Powderpuff I rescued a couple years ago. She has a dog door and free access to outside anytime she wants. We had some housebreaking trouble in the beginning, but once she mastered the dog door, she goes outside to do her business all day with no problems. When night falls it's completely different! She pees right in front of the dog door, inside the house! This also happens when it's cold and raining. We have no issues during the summer when the sunset is past 9:30pm (we live in Washington) and she is usually crated for the night by then. Now that the sun is setting earlier, she is peeing in the house again. She will also do it anytime of the year if I forget to lock her in her crate at night, but only after dark or when it's really raining. It gets dark here by 4pm in the winter and I really don't want to have to crate her all that time, but from 4pm on I get pretty busy with dinner and kids, so I can't hover around her and "catch" her at it, but I don't want to use potty pads and let her think it's OK to pee in the house either! I've heard of dogs not wanting to go out in the rain, but has anyone else had one that's afraid of the dark? Any suggestions???

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Take her outside yourself. She may not like the temperature drop at night, or the fact she probably can't see as well. Take her outside yourself every few hours, and take her outside right before you put her in the crate at night.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Take her outside and stand there until she's done. 2 or so times in the afternoon/evening and once immediately before being crated at night should be enough for an adult dog.

Think about it from her perspective- she's a very small dog and at night, there are all kinds of other animals that come out (they may not be in your yard, but she can smell them) like racoons, opossums, owls, maybe even a fox in the area (I do see foxes in the city sometimes). Add in the darkness which makes her rely more on scent than in the daytime and no wonder it is a bit scary.

Cold and rainy is obvious- that's just plain unpleasant to be outside in. My large hound even tries to avoid going out in the rain- I just take him outside, stand under the eaves or an umbrella and wait a couple minutes.

A motion activated floodlight MAY help- but you're still going to need to step outside to "trip" the sensor because you'll want to set it high enough off the group not to get tripped every time a squirrel or cat runs by. Or set it to a switch inside and turn the light on for her for the evening hours.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Living in the woods ... I have a light outside the door and a motion sensor light outside on the garage. This way the dogs and I can see ... it is less scary and there are many creatures of the night I am also not fond of that could be in my yard ... including Coyotes in my area.

None of my dogs appreciate the rain ... nor do I ... but we go out in it anyways. They have learned to just hurry up and go ... and the faster they go ... the faster they get back inside! I even have one dog who will climb up on the picnic table because there is an umbrella on it! Lol! :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
My cocker girl can be prissy about rain. I don't have a dog door though, so I take the dogs out into the backyard whether they ding the bell or not to go out. I go out with them and encourage them to go.

A month ago I got a hairless crested adult. He's excited to go out to potty because I go to, and we do it as a group with lots of praise.

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
I have trouble getting my girls to come IN out of the rain.

We have motion sensor floods all over the yard - not so much for the dogs' benefit (I don't think they care) but so we can see what they're up to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts