Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a husky that I got from a friend when she was 2. I’ve had her for 3 years now. The first two years wasn’t an issue. I lived in an apartment that had a fenced in dog park and I took her there every day 3 or 5 times a day to go potty. Then I moved into a house with no fenced in yards so I have to put her on a leash to take her outside and go to the bathroom. She has the biggest problem with this. She goes poop in the house almost every night and she has been since I’ve been living in this house. The treat reward thing everytime she poops outside isn’t working at all. I take her on a 2 mile walk every morning and she usually poops. Then every other time she cries to go outside I take her around the yard. She has one spot in the yard she’ll use the bathroom at when I take her there now. She never used to. She refused to go if she wasn’t fenced in. Now she’ll go but she still will poop in the House at night. I take her to sitters houses for weeks sometimes when I leave and they have fenced yards and she’s never pooped in their houses. It’s like she needs a fenced yard to not poop in the house. If I don’t take her on her 2 mile walk in the morning, she won’t poop usually all day until she gets that walk. But if I don’t have time in the morning to walk that far I’ll just take her out and around the yard and she won’t poop. Then if I leave for the day I come back to poop. If tried treats. I’ve tried locking her in a room for a couple hours when she’s bad and giving her no attention. I’ve tried so many things! I’ve even caught her pooping in the house and screamed at her and took her outside right away. Nothing seems to work ? any ideas?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Some dogs don't like going potty on a leash. Try a long line and a harness so she can get some distance from you. Physical movement stimulates the digestive system, so when you take her for a walk and she goes, she likely cannot physically hold it anymore, so she had not choice but to go.

Also, she shouldn't be getting an opportunity to poop in the house. When you can't supervise her, crate her in an appropriately sized crate so she can't poop on one side and lay on the other. If you do catch her having an accident, don't yell or scream or punish. Just say something like "oops!!" to interrupt her and rush her outside. If she goes, praise and reward. If she does not finish, take her back inside and put her in her crate for 5 minutes, then take her out to try again.

Additionally, you should be cleaning up accident spots with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's miracle to eliminate the scent of the accident.

·
Banned
1 Posts
My Husky, has always been so thin that I often soothingly trace the outline of his ribs with my fingers as I fall asleep. But we’d never really worried about it because he always ate as much as he wanted, enjoyed treats galore and remained around a healthy 11 pounds.

Do you know why? I am really upset for my dog. Please suggest me any good vet in NewYork.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m worried crating her will make her depressed since she’s never been crated in her life. She’s used to always sleeping next to me. I don’t want her to get anxiety. Also. I use a long leash and a harness. Sometimes I even use a tie out leash and tie her outside and go back inside. But she just lays there and cries.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I’m worried crating her will make her depressed since she’s never been crated in her life. She’s used to always sleeping next to me. I don’t want her to get anxiety. Also. I use a long leash and a harness. Sometimes I even use a tie out leash and tie her outside and go back inside. But she just lays there and cries.
Crating won't cause anxiety if you train her properly. You can look up crate training on this forum, and there will be plenty of information for you. Like all things, it will take time. But for a problem like this, I really recommend crating because otherwise you have to be watching them all the time to prevent them from going potty in the house.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
If you don't want her to get anxiety, you'd better not scream at her if you catch her pooping in the house. That can backfire and make the dog think you're angry about her pooping at all, which can make her not want to poop in your presence. If you catch her doing her business inside, interrupt her without anger, take her outside to finish, and praise/treat her when she does.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts