Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a husky that I got from a friend when she was 2. I’ve had her for 3 years now. The first two years wasn’t an issue. I lived in an apartment that had a fenced in dog park and I took her there every day 3 or 5 times a day to go potty. Then I moved into a house with no fenced in yards so I have to put her on a leash to take her outside and go to the bathroom. She has the biggest problem with this. She goes poop in the house almost every night and she has been since I’ve been living in this house. The treat reward thing everytime she poops outside isn’t working at all. I take her on a 2 mile walk every morning and she usually poops. Then every other time she cries to go outside I take her around the yard. She has one spot in the yard she’ll use the bathroom at when I take her there now. She never used to. She refused to go if she wasn’t fenced in. Now she’ll go but she still will poop in the House at night. I take her to sitters houses for weeks sometimes when I leave and they have fenced yards and she’s never pooped in their houses. It’s like she needs a fenced yard to not poop in the house. If I don’t take her on her 2 mile walk in the morning, she won’t poop usually all day until she gets that walk. But if I don’t have time in the morning to walk that far I’ll just take her out and around the yard and she won’t poop. Then if I leave for the day I come back to poop. If tried treats. I’ve tried locking her in a room for a couple hours when she’s bad and giving her no attention. I’ve tried so many things! I’ve even caught her pooping in the house and screamed at her and took her outside right away. Nothing seems to work ? any ideas? She’s never been crate trained or even crated so I’m worried that will make her depressed. She always sleeps next to me in the bed. Also. I’ve used a tie out leash in the yard and went back inside and left her out there and she just layed there and cried.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That sounds frustrating.
Whatever you do, do not scream or punish the dog. This will just cause more problems for you and your dog.
Unless you want this problem to continue, you will have to introduce a crate (Slowly - look up video or article online. If you introduce it properly, dog will actually like it). At the very least, confine the dog to a small dog proof /dog safe room while you’re gone. Dogs don’t like to potty where they sleep (unless sick or desperate) (a small room could be enough, but it may not be small enough). At least it will be confined to one room. Most dogs sleep all day when we’re gone. They don’t need a lot of space.
Do you give treats and praise within 1 second of going potty? If not, then you’re treating for something else.
Make sure you’re not leaving food down more than 15 min per meal. If you don’t know when food goes in, you won’t know when it’s coming out.
At night feed at same time, then start a list of what time he goes, so you’ll have a better idea. Also keep him in crate or leashed to your side at night until he goes. Keep trying to take him out until he goes and then offer huge praise and treats.
This may sound odd, but some people have had success with saving poop and then putting it in area where they need to go. I’m sure you bag up the am poop on your am walk. Try setting it aside somewhere (I know it’ll be harder in an apartment, but tuck it somewhere). Then put it down at night and this might stimulate the response time.
Is dog going potty in the same areas Inside? If so, you need to get a better cleaner, so dog can’t smell it inside either. It must be an enzyme based pet product like Natures Miracle. Household cleaners will not remove smell enough for dog. (Their sense of smell is 2000 times stronger than that of humans).
Be patient and consistent. Dogs don’t want to do the wrong thing. Good luck. You got this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts