Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new to the forum. A long time admirer or french bulldogs, at the start of 2013 I decided I had finally come to a good time in my life to begin to look into purchasing a puppy and realizing my dream of having a french bulldog in my family. I researched breeders (and rescues) for about a month and a half, and ultimately decided upon a breeder who I believe is responsible and passionate. I put down a deposit with this breeder at the end of January for a planned litter to be born in April.

As planned, puppy (Nugget) was born at the beginning of April. One of eight, her litter was troublesome from the start... Of eight, only three survived - due to what the breeder's vet thought was 'fading puppy syndrome'. It was told to us all along that our pup was a strong one and had not shown any of the symptoms of her siblings... until one night we got an email that said she too was struggling as they had and that the breeder wanted to prepare us for the worst. I was distraught... I had become attached to the idea of her already. The breeder's vet put Nugget on antibiotics which helped her out immensely... She was saved. At 3 weeks old, she was off those antibiotics but then had to be put back on antibiotics (a different kind - the first kind was geared toward potential pneumonia and the second has shown to be more successful in treating UTIs - is what the breeder told me) because she was incontinent (which the breeder told me is what had gotten her into trouble in the first place) because of what the vet thinks may be a UTI.

On Sunday, Nugget will be 5 weeks old and will be done this second round of antibiotics, the breeder also plans to get a culture + sensitivity test done for her. It seems everything is normal when Nugget is on antibiotics... but when she was off them the last time it took 2 days for her to slip back into incontinence. As I mentioned, the breeder's vet thinks this may either be a UTI or some genetic abnormality.

I am wondering if anyone here has ever heard of this in such a young pup and whether the result was a UTI or a genetic abnormality?

The breeder says if Nugget does not do okay off this most recent stint on antibiotics (and doesn't STAY okay/100% healthy until the 8/9 week age mark) then she will have to keep her back and I will be given my deposit back or can opt in for a future litter. But, if by some miracle, Nugget is okay after this last round of antibiotics and stays okay until she is old enough to come home with us... I have a few questions: Do you think these is any danger in taking her? Do you think her rough start is a red flag or could this be just an unfortunate start for a frenchie who may actually end up to be healthy?

Any information/advice/insight you could share about anything I have said above would be great. I am so grateful this forum exists. At this point, I am emotionally exhausted with the plight of my puppy and wondering if I am thinking clearly when it comes to her... Should I be hitting the hills running from this ticking time bomb of a pup, or am I right to be feeling so attached and sympathetic? Should I still be holding on to hope?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Honestly, if it were me in your situation, I would look elsewhere for a pup (or perhaps wait for the next litter), though I know that is much easier said than done. It doesn't sound like this breeder is necessarily doing anything wrong.. though I have never heard of "fading puppy syndrome". From what I know of Frenchies, 8 pups is a pretty massive litter, I think they're usually more like 3 or less, so I wonder if that's got something to do with it.. too many pups for them all to have developed properly or something.

I would also worry about taking a puppy who has been on antibiotics so many times at such a young age, I can only imagine what kind of damage that's done to her system.

I'm so sorry that your first puppy venture is going this way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, if it were me in your situation, I would look elsewhere for a pup (or perhaps wait for the next litter), though I know that is much easier said than done. It doesn't sound like this breeder is necessarily doing anything wrong.. though I have never heard of "fading puppy syndrome". From what I know of Frenchies, 8 pups is a pretty massive litter, I think they're usually more like 3 or less, so I wonder if that's got something to do with it.. too many pups for them all to have developed properly or something.

I would also worry about taking a puppy who has been on antibiotics so many times at such a young age, I can only imagine what kind of damage that's done to her system.

I'm so sorry that your first puppy venture is going this way.
Thank you. I really appreciate your opinion... it is actually nice to have someone else validate my fears regarding Nugget and her litter. It's been such an unfortunate situation so far - one that I am only just getting clarity on... I think it may indeed be time to let go of her and continue my search - lest I want to face more problems later on down the line.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I agree with CoverTune, a puppy that has had so many problems at her young age, I am afraid you may be in for a lot of Vet bills. I would wait and find another puppy.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I wonder if this breeder is testing for STDs in her dogs.

In puppies, canine herpesvirus infection is a frequent cause of neonatal morbidity and mortality.26 Herpesvirus is a mild endemic respiratory virus in adult dogs, but it causes abortion and early neonatal death when contracted by a bitch during the last three weeks of gestation and neonatal illness and death when pups are exposed in the birth canal or during the first three weeks of life.23 Clinical signs include constant crying and abdominal pain; acute death also occurs. Necropsy reveals petechiation of the kidneys, liver, and intestines, and infection is confirmed with virus isolation.27 Nested polymerase chain reaction testing has also been used to document canine herpesvirus infection and is available from a number of sources.28**
I would take your deposit and find another breeder. We could probably help you find a good one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts