Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I would like to say HI!:wave: to the comunity.
I am new here and I am also new at dog ownership so please bare with me.

I searched for almost a week all about puppies, his needs, and the responsibilities
that bound on having a puppy.
But there are some questions that I can't seem to find the right answer, so hopefully
you guys can help me so I can calm my self. :Cry:

these are my questions:

1.) why do my pup always sleep in the cold floor especially in front of the bathroom,
and one time I saw him sleep in the wet floor! is it normal for him? I am from Philippines so the weather here is just mild.:Cry:

2.) he is almost 2 month old but he still like his dry food to be soaked in milk, first he drinks the milk then let his puppy food to be so mushy then leave it for almost 10-15min before eating, is it still ok? if not can you give any advice on teaching him to eat his dry food?

3.) why do my puppy look overweight? he is like non-stop on eating! when we eat he look at us with those poor puppy eyes! then we gave him just itsy bits of meat, sometimes he will first ask a food from us before he eat his own food:doh:
[refer to picture below]

4.) at his age [almost 2 month old] can I change his diet from leaving the food bowl beside his crate into 4 meals a day? because I saw his belly is so big so I am really concern! I already dewormed him.
[refer to picture below]

5.) Can anyone confirm my suspicion about my dogs dominant breed? my uncle told me his mother is a mix breed of japanese spitz and lab but the spitz dominate the appearance of his mother but they never told his father's breed, the only thing they said to me is it is also a fluffy dog! I searched different fluffy breed that is common in our place and a bumped in this breed called chow chow. I searched the chowspitz mix and my puppy looks like the other chowspitz puppy! but they said chow has this distinct blue-black tongue?! he have the other characteristics like ( ignoring some people, and hates children) does it have chance to have a chow bloodline? :suspicious:
[refer to picture below]

this is my puppy:

his name is lucky and he really grows lightning fast :laugh:

this photo is taken when he is 1 and half month old:

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo220/shianz33/LuckycuteEd_zps7dbc3f22.jpg

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo220/shianz33/Photo0026_zps50310143.jpg

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo220/shianz33/Photo0019_zps995f9d52.jpg

sorry for being noob in this thing, I am really giving him the best of everything thats is why I seek help to all experienced dog owners here. Please also bare with my english >_<

~thank you.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
3.) why do my puppy look overweight? he is like non-stop on eating! when we eat he look at us with those poor puppy eyes! then we gave him just itsy bits of meat, sometimes he will first ask a food from us before he eat his own food:doh:
[refer to picture below]
He looks (and is) overweight because you are feeding him way too much. Your puppy does not need a ton of extra treats, especially if it's to the point that you are giving him treats before (or over) his regular meals. When you and your family are eating, try putting Lucky in a separate area (like a crate, for example) so that he isn't begging and you aren't tempted to feed him extras off your plate.

His kibble also does not need to be soaked in milk. Water works just fine and won't have any added calories. You can move him to several small meals a day at any time. He does not need to have food down 24/7.

It's hard to do any breed guesses because he is still young. Very cute though!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for replying!
So I plan to move his meal 8am 12am 8pm and 12pm? is that ok? Will he never get upset stomach?I always hear him crying whenever he wants to eat @[email protected]
will I just ignore him?
I really want him to be healthy..
I also planning to walk him this morning just for a bit of exercise.
OW! btw, I just recently learn that after feeding my puppy his full meal he need to relax first, the problem is
I accidentally played with him (running) after he ate yesterday! will he get bloat? I am really scared >_<

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
We fed our pup 3X/day when he was young and that was plenty. We also fed him less than he needed at meal times to compensate for the calories he was getting from treats we used when training or rewarding him.

Are you sure he's asking for FOOD all the time? Many animals will take food whenever it is offered, but he might be looking for attention or play time or companionship. I'd try giving him attention in non-food ways if it isn't meal time and see if he's happy with that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yes he does, we first let him play on our backyard but instead he will go inside the house and find his kibble!
3x a day? is it ok? can you give a time plan and how plenty of dry foods is necessary for his diet? I will be really happy if he can loose some weight
but maintain his healthy look.

yes he does, we first let him play on our backyard but instead he will go inside the house and find his kibble!
3x a day? is it ok? can you give a time plan and how plenty of dry foods is necessary for his diet? I will be really happy if he can loose some weight
but maintain his healthy look.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
If he is drinking a big bowl of milk and then eating his kibble as well, his stomach will look big. After a puppy is weaned from the mother, he really does not need milk as they do not always digest it very well. I would just give him the kibble soaked in a little warm water and have cold water available for him all the time.

He is too young to really tell what he is but he could very well have Chow in him.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I will try giving him just water+kibble today. but I am not sure how much kibble I will give him since I also give him some treats while
I am training him walking on leash. hope you can give me some eating time plan and how much I should give him per meal.
ow btw! is it ok to implement 3 day meal today? i mean right away? will he experience upset stomach if I will change his meal from everytime
to 3x a day? @[email protected]
or should I give him 4x today then 3x tomorrow?

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you are leaving food out for her all day and drop it down to 3 times a day, it might be a shock. Maybe do smaller portions 4 times a day for a couple days, then drop down to 3 times a day.
We have a 9 week old pup who we feed 3 times a day plus treats for training. We give her about 1/3-1/2 cup dry kibble around 7:30am, 12-1pm, and 5-6pm. We also put a few pieces of kibble in a empty plastic water bottle that she rolls around the house through out the day. She has never crys for food.
As far as sleeping on the cold floor, I've noticed most animals like the cold floors better than carpets or their beds. We keep our puppy in the bathroom at night and while we eat. She usually lays on the floor over her bed, and its not even warm in our house.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks belle12 for replying!
I tried the above said advices, and yours..today I manage to hold his food consumption from infinite to 4 meals., but the first 3 I gave him is only a small portions.
but this last one..I gave him this 1am 1/4 cup then I saw after he ate he then rush to poop which he never did with the first 3 feeding time
then he bite his stuff toys, then he whines but not loud.
I got concerned since I just read this topic about BLOATING in puppies, symptoms are whines and uncomfortable of sleeping. hope its not bloating. :(
now he is just sleeping but he still whines when he wake up then he go the bathroom w/c he want to sleep @[email protected]

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Bloat is not very common in puppies. It is most common is large and giant breed dogs. It really isn't something you should spend your time worrying about right now. A hallmark sign of bloat is trying to vomit, but not being able to. The dog will also appear to be very uncomfortable/in pain and can't settle down. It's different than an antsy puppy.

As to how much to feed him - it depends on the size of the dog and the type of food. The bag of puppy food should have recommendations on how much to feed per day (you break that amount up into however many meals you're feeding), though the food bag is trying to sell you more food, and often the portions listed are bigger than they need to be. When my pup was young, he ate 1/2 cup broken into 3 meals, then 1/4 cup 3X/day. He was just shy of 4 lbs when he was 8 wks old.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I will try giving him just water+kibble today. but I am not sure how much kibble I will give him since I also give him some treats while
I am training him walking on leash. hope you can give me some eating time plan and how much I should give him per meal.
ow btw! is it ok to implement 3 day meal today? i mean right away? will he experience upset stomach if I will change his meal from everytime
to 3x a day? @[email protected]
or should I give him 4x today then 3x tomorrow?
A growing puppy is fine on 3 meals a day. (by the way, I would keep the treats to a minimum and for training only, it's more important that he get the proper nutrition from his meals, than empty calories from extra treats). My lab pups at 8 weeks weighed 7-11 lbs and used to eat 1/2 cup 3 x's a day 7am, noon and 5pm. The rest of the day was play, training and sleep. As they went through growth spurts, I increased the food to 3/4 cup AM and PM and kept the 1/2 cup at noon. By the time they were 5 months old, they were weaned back to 2 meals per day 7am and 5pm, so at 4 months, I started to give less at their noon feedings and increase the other 2 meals.
As they go through growth spurts, they become taller and lankier and their ribs may show just a little. That's when I increased food by 1/4 cup per morning and evening meal, sometimes as much as 1/2 cup (but they were big dogs). When growth slowed, or it took them more than 5 -10 minutes to eat, I decreased food by an 1/8 - 1/4 cup.

Keep in mind too that 3 scheduled meals help with potty training. If you are free feeding or feeding from 7am til midnight, it's harder to acclimate to a routine potty schedule. You can wean him off of the additional meals, by giving a little less at the feeding time you want to eliminate. If you keep him busy when he's awake, he will adjust more easily and perhaps sleep the rest of the time.

If you can feel his ribs with a little bit of effort, but not see them, while he's standing, he should be at a good weight. If it's hard to feel his ribs while standing, he is probably overweight. If you can see his ribs, he is too thin. There is a little more to this, but this is the general rule of thumb.

The distended belly could be a puppy thing, or it could be the milk, or it could be a medical thing, (like worms). Best to check with a vet on that.

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
I agree with the advice already given:
1. He lies on the floor because it is cool. He has lots of fur and gets hot easily.
2. He is young and his mouth is not yet strong, so he likes softer food. Use water, no more milk. Feed 3 times per day.
3. Never feed him people food. Never feed him while you are eating, even if he whines. He will learn to beg from you every time you eat, which is not cute from an adult dog....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the advice! but I have another concern
my husband forgot to feed our lucky his 7am meal,
I am really mad for that! since I am sleeping at that time
I told him before I sleep to feed lucky at 7am but I guess
it just went through his another ear.
now when I woke up I gave lucky half of 1/4 cup but he never ate it all..
its like he is not interested unlike before..yesterday when I woke up he will be
so energetic and happily come to me but today when I call him he is like
not interested. he also not hopping much when he saw his food bowl.
he just play a little bit with my hand then sleep after he ate a bit.
is it ok?
and is it fine to feed him tomorrow 7am, 12 pm , 5pm? will he not get upset stomach?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes, he went to the vet last week, he have been wormed, vaccinated, and frontlined coz he got so many fleas and ticks from his littermates and mother
before I got him. His next schedule will be on january 4, I got another question..my puppy poop water like poop and small amount too today even though he eats dry kibble soak in
small amount of warm water. is he gonna be ok? yesterday his poop is not like that :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am getting paranoid today since I think there is something wrong with him, today his poop are watery and few, and he did not finish his meals.
then I tried feeling his ribs and without any effort I felt his ribs.

here is a sample of his poop:

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo220/shianz33/Photo0059_zps58133d28.jpg

he pooped in my mom's room w/c he never did before.

here is his latest birds eye view picture when sleeping:
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo220/shianz33/Photo0052_zps2f01c7ec.jpg

and he plays with his toy/bone after eating today:
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo220/shianz33/Photo0060_zps3f25a83b.jpg

sorry for the poop pic, but I am really concerned @[email protected]

hope somebody reply :(

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
If you're concerned, call/take him to the vet. No one can tell you what's wrong here. He could have lactose intolerance, he could have more worms, he could be sick, he could have eaten something that bothered his digestion. Just start by calling the vet and see what they say.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts