Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'll be quick:

1. My dog barks for everything. If he wants my attention, if a toy's stuck under the couch, if he doesn't like my tone, when the doorbell rings, etc. Don't know how to stop it.

2. If you tell my dog, "off", "come", etc. and he doesn't do it, I will go toward him to make him get off or to make him come. As soon as one foot moves he tenses up and sometimes goes into the play "bow". With the next step he is off and running and the game is on. I know you aren't supposed to chase, but how do you get him then?

3. My dog is 8 months old and still nips and play bites everything. You can't pet him without his mouth on you, you can't walk by him with arms swinging naturally without his mouth on you. You can't carry one of his toys, a drink or a plate of food without him jumping up and putting his mouth on you.

4. He will come running through the house full blast at you and jump up with his front paws on you. He's done this several times when I was facing away and almost knocked me on my face.

5. I have taught him heel, sit when I stop, all the good stuff on a leash. We have great relaxing walks However, when on that leash he will be perfect until we see someone or another dog, and then all that training is gone. All of a sudden he won't sit, he's pulling at the leash choking himself, up on two legs, barking, the whole nine yards. In a millisecond I've lost all control.

Help please!!!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Ah, teenagers! At least dog teenagers don't listen to horrible music and wear ugly clothes.

Leash problems: get a halter. That's a lot of stress on the neck, specifically the thyroid and trachea. Any harness will do, but front clip harnesses prevent pulling. What you want to do is A. work on "look at me" at home, really get that 100% at home, then start training outside. Kikopup on YouTube teaches this. She's amazing. B. work on the "look at that" game. Basically, you want to have him looking at dogs far enough away that he's not reacting and treat that calm behavior. Then you work closer and closer until he's calm at close distances.

Barking: ignore it. He gets no attention while barking. He gets attention while not barking.

Recall, off: you've turned these into a fun game of chase me. Start again using new words. Make recall the most awesome thing that happens to your dog. Pick his favorite treat and he only gets it for recall, and he gets it every time. Do not use recall for things he doesn't like. If you need to clean his ears, go to him. When he runs off, don't chase. Obviously, keep him leashed outside.

A lot of this really sounds like teenage enthusiasm. With training and time, he'll get better.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Agreed. What breed?

1. Barking - As Amaryllis said, ignore it. Even to the point of turning around and walking out of the room. In addition, teach him "Quiet." When he is barking, he will stop for a fraction of a second, say "Quiet" and shove a tiny piece of boiled chicken in his mouth.... You will have his attention. For training 'Quiet', When he barks, close your eyes and turn away; and when he stops for a moment, say Quiet, and give him chicken. Find opportunities to give him chicken, then raise the bar for the amount of time that he keeps quiet. Eventually, say 'Quiet' while he is barking. BTW, I suggest that you allow him to bark once or twice to alert you... It gets useful to have a dog who communicates in a way that you understand.

2. Make a point of teaching Come in a positive way. However, recognize that "off!" is a punishment. You can turn it into a game... one step towards him - he playbows - you run the other direction, and he chases you. You kneel, saying Come, and praise, pet, treat him.... Takes preparation.

3. Nipping -Read the Sticky in the New Owner section: The Bite Stops Here. You can also search through the Forum. I and many other people have posted various suggestions... Whichever method you use, it takes about 3 days to start to get the idea across.

4. Jump - It's a fun game. Also, painful. Mine did this and I fell on him. Very effective, but I don't recommend it :) Two possible approaches = Turn and surprise him: blow a whistle, or clap your hands. OR Yell, and (pretend) to fall on the ground and whine/cry for a few minutes, making a point to ignore his subsequent playbows and barking. Then, leave the room, leaving him in time-out for 2 minutes.... see if he apologizes, licking you when you return.
5. Barking at strangers - I'm assuming this is friendly, not aggressive. Enlist a few helpers, first just people, then people with dogs.
Have the people come up and tell him to Sit, then have them turn their back, if he continues to bark, then have them say Oops, and walk away. Do this a few times in 10 - 30 min. You can also ask them to say "Quiet" if you taught that one. After a couple of weeks when he has learned to Sit, then start with people and dogs.

The good news is that my Lab-GSD did all of these things also. ... And he calmed down with lots of training.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Have you viewed the Kikopup videos on these topics yet and followed the suggestions found there? Here are a few that might be helpful...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the help. As far as breed, he is a total mix. He's 35 lbs. 8 months old and neutered. No idea. I can't figure out how to add a picture to this message from my computer or I would add that. He has German Shepherd colors, Border Collie hair, and irish wolfhound face and tail. That's all I can give you. I will try all of these things, though and see if we can't turn him around. It's good to know that alot of this is just growing up, too.Any other suggestions always welcome! I'll get started on these today!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts