Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 month old Black Lab puppy. She keeps peeing before we can get outside. I live on the third floor and we take the elevator down. I don’t understand why she’s not holding it, as it take all of 30 seconds to leave the apartment and get outside. Originally, when she would pee in the elevator or hallway, I would firmly scold her. But I believe that technique frightening her too much because she would pee in the elevator with her tail between her legs while staring at me. I don’t scold her anymore. My routine is to put my shoes on, grab her harness and leash, put her harness and leash on while she’s in the crate and then walk her out. If I turn to lock the door, she will start to pee. She’s 40lbs and I have back problems so I don’t think carrying her is wise. We do have a wagon. I don’t know what to do! Please help!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,160 Posts
You're part-way there by not scolding her. When you scold a dog for peeing in an inappropriate place they learn to find a place out-of-sight.

Are you waiting for her to tell you that she needs to go out? That's still young for a dog to even know until it's already too late and some dogs will NEVER signal the need to go outside. So it's our responsibility to get them out at reasonable (reasonable for them, not for us) intervals. The intervals will likely grow longer as she ages, but if she doesn't make it outside, the interval is too short.

At five months, it's not so much a matter of training the dog. Its more a matter of training ourselves.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t wait for her to tell me, I take her out every 4 hours. She seems to only pee in the elevator or hallway when it’s been more than 5 hours. Maybe I should tighten on that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, it's said 1hr for every month to hold it, but if outdoor pottying is not solid, I would take her out every hour or at least every 2 hours.

If she doesn't go when you bring her out after 5 mins, bring her back in but DON'T take your eyes off her and at any time she starts veering away sniffing, circling, any of those signals, take her out immediately (as best you can).

I realize it's a bit more difficult to get out being on the 3rd story, and it's a pretty big job in a backyard situation, but the dedication now is worth the long run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts