Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a pup from local shelter, and so far, he's really great. Other then he pees EVEYWHERE!!!!! Including his crate.
We leave the door open so he's free to go in and out as he pleases, but he will go in there and pee, and I don't know what to do.
The last dog we adopted was 5 or 6 and she lived a good healthy 10 years (malmute)
So, right now I'm reading books, and at my wits end. I know he doesn't do it to be bad, cause he know's he's done so. His ears go down and he know's he's in trouble, but in all I've read so far, your to ignore unwanted behavior. So I try to be patient, and I'll have one of the kids take him out for a walk while i clean.
What can you suggest? His vet told us to cut back on his water intake, so we've done that, but he still doesn't seem to have control of his bladder.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
As the above poster mentioned you should be taking him out on frequent potty breaks until he gets the hang of things. You also want to accompany him so you are there to praise him the instant that he's finished.
I would also limit his free roam throughout the house until he's trustworthy. That means tethering him to you and or blocking off access so you can keep an eye on him at all times. You are the one in charge of anticipating and managing his needs so if he makes a mess in the house, that's your bad not his. Your goal is to give him ample opportunity to go outside and limit the opportunity to mess inside.

Here's a great training article on the subject.

http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/2001/housetrain.htm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts