Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine & client has a 5 month gsd he is the sweetest thing and is all play...I have worked with a lot of gsd and others with fear& aggression problems, this is not one.
When her son ( 12 yrs old) has Rascal in the yard on a leash....two neighbors call animal contol...
although the neighbors have a saint puppy who is in rascals yard all the time pooping....I really don't know how to tell het to handle this .....any thoughts

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Wait.. let me get this right...

The puppy is on a leash in it's own yard and neighbors call Animal Control???

What does Animal Control do?

The neighbor's Saint puppy is allowed to run free and enters your friend's yard?

Does your friend reciprocate by calling Animal Control?

Has your friend tried talking to the neighbors to find out what their problem is and discuss the issue of the Saint puppy?

Sounds like neighbors need a new hobby.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Yup, that's why I have Moose (a Rottweiler). His former owner's neighbors called Animal Control ALL THE TIME for no reason, and they got so sick of dealing with it so they gave him to me. Plus the AC officer was being a real jerk. Sometimes these things happen. If you figure out a good way to deal with it, let me know!

·
Banned
58 Posts
I have a Basset Hound Mix (Hubbs) and he is a great watchdog. I'm wondering if you are telling the entire story. It just sounds weird to me. Why would they call animal control? I'm confused.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Another 2nd hand story w/o enough information.

1.) What was reported to AC? Was the 12 YO accused of abusing the dog? Was the dog barking?

2.) When AC showed up what did THEY say the complaint was about?

If calling AC is unfounded, and repetitious, I would try to talk to them to see what this is really about. It may be pointless, but you can try.

I would take a good look at Harassment laws and see if I could charge them with that if talking to them was fruitless.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Whats a gsd?

German Shepherd dog

When I first bought this house my neighbor had an issue with me owning Rottweiler's. She told me that they had a person with a Rottweiler in this neighborhood in the past and that they had all worked together to get him and his scary dog out.
I simply assured her that my dogs were anything but scary. They are registered Therapy dogs and they are NEVER left outside unattended. I still got a complaint about my dogs barking but when the police got to my house, noticed the dogs next door barking, and my dogs sleeping on the couch. It came to an abrupt halt. I assume the woman was told to back off unless their TRULY was a problem. She has since warmed up to me and waves to me when she sees me. She still goes up on her porch when I walk my leashed dogs past. (one never knows when they will go BAD!) :D

I suggest that your friend talk to the neighbor and discuss her/his fears and how they can work together to bring a resolution to this problem. I also suggest she make sure that her GSD remains a wonderful, social member of society and that she make certain that her neighbors are all part of that socialization if possible. Tell her to get real acquainted with her ACO in a positive manner. That will help to protect her from being discriminated against.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Well, Inga and Miss Mutt I was going to hve some fun with the gsd Abbreviation (but also would have told the truth..).. shucks....

Inga is right. If you own a breed of dog that the Media has given a bad rap, and you really like your breed, it is so important to make sure your dog is a Breed Amabassador. Good behavior, friendly and just an all around good samaritan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts