Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, has anyone given their dogs the supplement 5-HTP for either aggression or anxiety? What was the outcome and how did you find a safe dosage? Thank you

·
Registered
344 Posts
Bad idea. Bad, bad, bad, idea. There is no way to monitor how a dog feels on a psychotropic medication. How would you like someone to give you something that effects your brain and be unable to tell them how weird or horrible it makes you feel? And you can't stop that person from continuing to give it to you. Did you plan to evaluate the effect on his brain by how much he wags his tail? For heaven's sake, don't do such a thing to your dog.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With respect, I find your response judgemental instead of helpful. I am a responsible dog owner, and am not making any decision lightly, which is why I am looking for opinions from people who have experience with this supplement.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Bad idea. Bad, bad, bad, idea. There is no way to monitor how a dog feels on a psychotropic medication. How would you like someone to give you something that effects your brain and be unable to tell them how weird or horrible it makes you feel? And you can't stop that person from continuing to give it to you. Did you plan to evaluate the effect on his brain by how much he wags his tail? For heaven's sake, don't do such a thing to your dog.

^^^THIS^^^ I would NOT recommend doing that to your dog.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I have read about 5-htp for dogs, although I have zero experience with it in that regard (have used it briefly in the past for myself, though). I think this is an issue best left to the professionals (to see if that is an appropriate medication for your particular dog, to get the dosing correct based on your dog's health, to monitor everything properly, et cetera). Perhaps you can speak with your vet about this or find a holistic vet in your area to consult with. I know that dogs can overdose on it, which can lead to some nasty symptoms, including seizures.

I don't have an issue with giving a dog medication for anxiety if the dog truly needs it. I know how it feels when I am not on my anxiety medication, and it is certainly not something I enjoy. I think that if the dog really needs it (and other options have been explored and ruled out) then why deny them something that could help them? Just like with people, though, it is important to have a medical professional helping you along the way to dose and monitor everything.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
You should ask a vet instead of trying to self medicate your dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts