Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a week since my partner and I bought our then 11 week old puppy. So far she has settled in really well with us and our 5 cats. The problem we're having is the cats want to play with Tori (our puppy) but they swipe with their paws which Tori cowers from and when Tori wants to play with the cats she bows and barks at them (presumably to entice them) which they cower away from.
Tori is the only dog we have and came from a litter of 5 so I can understand her wanting to play and being lonely when she can't. How can we encourage them to play safely? As they all seem desperate to play with each other but we obviously we don't want any of them to hurt each other.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Trim the sharp points off the cats' nails so they don't accidentally scratch the puppy's eyes. Other than that everything sounds like it's going fine. . .cats and dogs have different play styles and it takes a while for them to get used to each other. If everything is reciprocal (both parties playing), it's fine, but if one of them is being bullied or doesn't want to be there, it's time to intervene.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have five dogs and three cats and they all get along fine. This one chases that one and so on....cut the nails, so when the cats swipe at the pup there isn't major complications. Eventually the pup will realize who she can play with, when to back down, and all of that fun stuff!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts