Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was using science diet. The name is deceiving! All those animal byproducts! YUCK! But for the price, the 4health might not be the cream of the crop but it's cheaper than some of the foods that definitely don't have quality ingredients!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have my dogs on diamond naturals which sounds like the same as 4health. my 11 year old english bulldog has done great on this, she has more energy and she does'nt stink anymore, which I thought her smell was old age but now I'm thinking it was a corn or wheat allergy. The one thing I noticed is the chicken and rice seemed to give them gas but not the beef.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I can't find anything about it on any of the dog food sites but I couldn't find anything so far. Can't believe that its better then TOTW though.
Here's the dogfoodadvisor review of 4health. I agree that it's not better than TOTW, but I also don't think that's really comparing apples to apples. TOTW is a grain-free, alternative protein source food, while 4health is a grain inclusive, value brand--it is VERY good for the price and I would feed it in a second if I couldn't continue with what I'm feeding now.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
question: has any one had any problem with totw causing sheding problems? I have 2 pits one 10 month old male and a 3 year old female my female does great on this but my male lost alot of fur I am thinking of trying 4heath.
The only shedding problem I had is that my dogs got such a thicker and fuller coat eating TOTW that when spring came around Kaya shed like an industrial fur producing machine... Clouds of shedding, huge basketball size balls of hair when I brushed her, and she still had a great coat when done shedding..

I tried moving Hope, my other dog, off of TOTW and to Blue and Wellness, and she started having skin problems within a couple of months, back to TOTW... I may give this 4health a try though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I spoke with the CS at 4health and they assured me that all fish meal is local sourced. The only ingredients that are imported are the Chickory (can't remember... sorry! :p), potato meal (Germany), and some of the lamb (New Zeland). I think we will be switching over for the pocket factor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi , we r starting our second bag of 4 health chicken & rice, and our four seem to be doing great , one thing i've noticed is their breath is not bad anymore !! they were on diamond adult maint. they also seem to have more energy and they glucosamine and chondrotin seem to have already made a diiference in our 9 yo Min Pin !!! she seems to be more active and her joints dont seem to be as touchy when we rub her

·
Registered
1 Posts
We were feeding our 5 and 1 year old Goldens Science Diet. Our 5 year old was having HORRIBLE itching problems and was loosing his hair. I started looking at natural foods because I didnt know what to do next. He was taking allergy medicine and had been on prednisone with only temporary relief.. I went to TS to get a bag of Blue Buffalo (I had a coupon to try it) and I came across the 4Health. It was a good price, 29.95 for a 35lb bag.. Cheaper than $35 for Science Diet and $50 for BB. I got a small bag to have them try it and they seemed to love it.. They are on their 4th or 5th bag now and are doing very well :) Our 5 year old has completely stoppped itching and is getting a very thick coat.. Ive never seen so much hair on him! :) They never had any issues with their bowels, so far doing great on 4Health :)

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I have been feeding 4Health for a little over four months now. I have tried all flavors of it. I feed 3 large breed dogs and two small breed dogs. I tried the small bites this month to appease the little ones. All of the dogs like it. One of the small dogs has lost 90% of his runny eye problem. The only thing I became concerned with was my one pup because of her mix of breeds that are prone to skin issues. She started to lose the hair around her eye. I decided to supplement her diet with fish oil and vitamin E. Along with the 4Health she has returned to normal and has a wonderful shine, soft coat, and no dry skin. Just a thought for those of you with breeds prone to skin issues. :) The one Lab mix used to have a bad odor to her. That is gone and she does not shed like she used to. I noticed in my area that the price ranges from $29.99 to $35.99 depending on which one you buy for the 35 lb. bags. The smaller bags (20 lbs I think?) are $19.99 in my area. I am totally pleased with the 4Health at this point. Also, the chicken does tend to give more gas than the other flavors. Mine like the High Performance and the Lamb and rice the best. The small bites and the High Performance are flat shaped and the others are round shaped. If I calculated properly it amounts to about $1.00 per pound.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I feed it now, because I can't find Hundenflocken locally and the 4Health is a less expensive alternative to Blue. My dogs (a Red female Heeler/Kelpie cross and a male Pit mix, both rescues) seem to be doing very well on it. I get the lamb & rice and the salmon & potato and mix them together because the straight salmon & potato resulted in some pretty noxious gas issues. Breque has a sensitive stomach and allergy issues, and she adjusted to the 4Health very quickly. They have been on the 4Health for about 2 years now, and I have no complaints.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I realize this thread is outdated, but if anyone is feeding 4Health and would like to provide some feedback, I'd appreciate that. I recently moved and have to switch foods because the one I was feeding is not available here. I found a Tractor Supply today and went in to look at foods. I found 4Health and liked the price and the ingredients. I'm considering switching to this food, but would like to hear from anyone who has fed it recently.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I realize this thread is outdated, but if anyone is feeding 4Health and would like to provide some feedback, I'd appreciate that. I recently moved and have to switch foods because the one I was feeding is not available here. I found a Tractor Supply today and went in to look at foods. I found 4Health and liked the price and the ingredients. I'm considering switching to this food, but would like to hear from anyone who has fed it recently.
I have fed it recently and all the dogs love it. I do not believe that 4health was part of the recall, but I am not 100% on that. I have fed the Grain free and grain inclusive lines, both are great. Their grain free is not made by Diamond which I love, however the grain inclusive is. They just came out with two new flavors of grain free, a Duck formula and a Pork formula. Once they get bigger bags of these flavors out then I will be buying them and trying to transition my allergy dog onto one of them.

Edit to add: The grain free foods are made by Ainsworth.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I have fed it recently and all the dogs love it. I do not believe that 4health was part of the recall, but I am not 100% on that. I have fed the Grain free and grain inclusive lines, both are great. Their grain free is not made by Diamond which I love, however the grain inclusive is. They just came out with two new flavors of grain free, a Duck formula and a Pork formula. Once they get bigger bags of these flavors out then I will be buying them and trying to transition my allergy dog onto one of them.

Edit to add: The grain free foods are made by Ainsworth.
Good to know. I was thinking of using the grain-inclusive foods (either chicken or lamb). I also found online that there's a high performance formula, but my store didn't have that (at least not in stock today).

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Good to know. I was thinking of using the grain-inclusive foods (either chicken or lamb). I also found online that there's a high performance formula, but my store didn't have that (at least not in stock today).
Yes the High Performance is a big hit here. If your store does not have it you can always request a bag and they will get it for you.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I was feeding Zoey 4health for a while and she did well on it. I gave her the grain inclusive varieties and they are a affordable good quality alternative to feeding mid priced foods, the only thing I will say is their lamb formula has a little less protein. I only took her off of it because she gets ear infections and 4health uses brewers rice which may contribute to yeasty ears.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have fed 4Health, both the grain free and the grain inclusive. Zoey did real well on the GF Turkey, switched from that because I wanted to feed them the same thing and Luke never did well on poultry. Also fed the Salmon and potato frequently, they both did well on that. It's something I would feel comfortable recommending or going back to if need be (we are currently trying out raw).

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
My dogs did best on Solid Gold, budget intervened, we switched to Diamond Lamb and rice-- poor coat and they seemed hungry all the time (pup started killing and eating chickens)-- we switched to 4H puppy which is lamb and rice, but higher protein and fat that my crew needs-- their coats nice and shiny no more chicken fatalities.... Yay.... So far a good experience for us!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I wish there was a TS on Long Island. How about NATIVE dog food? I hear good things
Wonderful food. And great company. If you send them an email they are really helpful about getting somewhere close to you to sell the food. My sporting dogs do wonderfully on their foods.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts