Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,
im new here but jumping right in im afraid...we have a 12wks old colliexgerman shepered and since doing her food wrong and doing it right again she has increased the amount she eats ALOT.
I dont know about the cup size we use a large mug and she was eating less than one of those a day one at the most which equated to about 230g worth of food, since we righted her food this week, she has increased the amount to 450g which is almost 3 of the mugs full.
she is on Purina Beta puppy food (not the large breed kind)
When i say doing her food wrong we were using hot water to soften them and not cold and as a result she was getting a runny tummy since swapping it back tummy is fine.
she weighs about 14lbs as a rough guess.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
How much really depends on the dog, but Purina is really bad food, all it is, is fillers, and by-product. No realy meat at all.

If you have a tractor supply near you, you can get Taste of the Wild Puppy, it's not to exspencive.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Second the above, pretty much anything is better than Purina. If you feed a good food like Taste of the Wild she's going to eat less and poop less, which is always good! Try taking a plastic cup and measuring out her set amount of food using a measuring cup, then marking the cup with a marker at the fill line, that makes it pretty easy to be sure she is getting the proper amount. Puppies eat a ton of food, especially one that's going to be a big pup like her, mine at one point was eating almost 4 cups a day of a high quality food and she only grew to be about 50lbs.

By the way can we have some pictures?? I would love to see her!

And on a side note, if you were using hot tap water straight from the faucet, it wouldn't surprise me if it upset her belly, have you ever seen what comes out of a water heater when you drain it, its gross!! Don't drink that water or give it to the pup its just icky!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
And on a side note, if you were using hot tap water straight from the faucet, it wouldn't surprise me if it upset her belly, have you ever seen what comes out of a water heater when you drain it, its gross!! Don't drink that water or give it to the pup its just icky!
So I'm not the only freak who buys bottled water for my dog?

Anyway, definitely go to dogfoodadvisor.com and pick a better food than Purina. As for measuring, why not use an actual measuring device? I just keep a half cup measure in Kabota's food bag. (Obviously, my dog is smaller than yours.) That way, I'm always getting exactly the right amount.

·
Registered
463 Posts
So I'm not the only freak who buys bottled water for my dog?
Lol not quite bottled but they do get the filtered tap. How much does Kabota weigh? I always thought he was a bigger dog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts