Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I recently adopted a 17-month old wirehaired griffon. He came from another family who had taught him the basic commands along with some hunting training. He's very submissive and wants to please. Our 4-year old Kerry Blue has not taken kindly to a new boy in the house. He growls and lunges and bites (no blood drawn) at his neck. The sounds they make are worse than it is.

Does anyone have advice on how to make the adjustment period easier? It's only been about a week, but I can't have them both out of their crates if I am home without my husband. When will they learn?!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I keep new dogs separated at first and only let them together once they can ignore one another. Keep up the crating for now. Take them for parallel walks when you can as well. Don't try to have them play together or play with you at the same time for a while, that really amps up the stress level. Have them eat out of sight of one another at first in case of resource guarding. Pick up the toys, they now belong to you and you get to initiate the game. Have them dragging leashes when they are both out of crates at first. I am lucky to have a couple of exercise pens and most of the day Ginger was in one with water and a bed rather than in a small crate. The other is outside and Ginger is fed in it so they don't interfere with each other's meals.

Ginger and Max are doing well after 17 days, they had a 1/2 mile parallel walk when she came home and then Ginger was put into a pen. Max did go up and sniff her but there didn't seem to be any posturing between them. They were able to be walked together the first day. She wasn't allowed off leash even in the house for a week, part of that time she dragged a leash and she got a new room privilege every day or so but she must stay in the room with us same as Max.

Max won't play tug with her and they don't share in the chasing of critters/trucks/leaves and such yet but it is coming along. We are doing parallel play, they each have a toy and I take turns playing with them. We are doing separate training as even crated it is too much for them - Max barks outside the door the whole time Ginger is getting click/treated.

I was mainly worried that Max would throw a fit over a bit of food dropping and scare her but since they are developing a relationship slowly dropped food hasn't been a problem and it has happened. They have even shared the scrambled egg pan that I held for them. She actually seems to be following his lead. I groom him and she is allowing me to do the same to her - even trimming foot hair and dremeling nails. He sits on the rug out of the kitchen and she tries semi hard to resist the tractor beam pulling her in the kitchen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts