Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My almost 4 months Lab/GSD mix always tries to play rough with my younger boy (3 years), she barks to put boundaries on him, and snaps him.
is this normal, she is active submissive/trying. she only has this problem, she eats on command, i can interrupt her while she is eating by command, she does all basic commands. exercise , boundaries, rules, limitation are good.
please tell me is that normal? and what to do? i know she is kind of Alpha active high energy, and the breeder told me she was biting other puppies in her litter.
i tried to make my son feed her, she does sit on command by him.

please tell me what do u think

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Yes, this is normal. You need to train her how to settle down, Leave it and separate the two of them when you can't CLOSELY supervise so the three year old doesn't accidentally get hurt. She is NOT apha she is a PUP who's testing her boundaries as ALL children of every species does, think of it as her going through 'terrible twos'.

I also think you need to get her to puppy training classes and basic obedience.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Alpha theory is bunk. It's been disproven many times.

Your dog sounds like a normal puppy doing normal puppy things. She just needs training. I highly recommend anything by Ian Dunbar, as well as "Don't Shoot the Dog" and "Culture Clash". Any of these will help you understand your dog and how to train her.

Also, do NOT ever, ever, ever leave a small child and a dog together unattended, not even for 3 seconds. Children are naturally bad with dogs and that can end in tragedy for the child and the dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought that female Labrador is super nice with children !!! will she be nice with my kids when she is few month older? she does not mean any harm, but she play rough with her mouth, and jump on my kid. also she do the same to my sister, she tries to nip her feet and cloths, and bark, but if she is alone with her, she do nothing, so she do this action while other members in the house. plus regarding how to settle her down, she never jump on me or on my wife whatever i run or jumped !!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
You need to TRAIN her, she will not get better on her own. she is playing only but needs to be taught by you and the otehr adults in the house what is appropriate and what is not. PLEASE read the links we've posted for training to manage your pup and teach her MANNERS!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I thought that female Labrador is super nice with children !!! will she be nice with my kids when she is few month older? she does not mean any harm, but she play rough with her mouth, and jump on my kid. also she do the same to my sister, she tries to nip her feet and cloths, and bark, but if she is alone with her, she do nothing, so she do this action while other members in the house. plus regarding how to settle her down, she never jump on me or on my wife whatever i run or jumped !!
Labs, including most breeds, are great with kids if trained and thought manners. Labs though in particular are a very high energy breed and typically act like puppies until around 2-4 years, and that is with proper training and exercise. My uncles lab just started settling down and she is now 4, and she got hour long runs everyday and was very well mannered. However, they still act like a puppy for a long time. They can be a little bit clumsy, and a lab's tail or wiggly but could easily knock down a small child. If she is nipping, I suggest looking at a thread under the first time puppy owner section called "The Bite Stops Here". He needs to learn bite inhibition. It doesn't matter if she doesn't mean any harm, accidents can happen. So please never, ever leave the unsupervised with your kids. Things can go terribly wrong in a matter of seconds. I highly suggest signing up for some training classes. I have heard that PetCo has some pretty good ones depending on the location.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts