Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a four month Pomeranian puppy.. Who has funny habits when going potty.. I can usually get him to pee outside on command which is really good so thats not really a problem but when he goes to poop he just wont go outside, he whines and whines for about 40mins and refuses to go outside, ive tried different spots.. Grass, pavement etc and bringing newspaper outside but still no.. He has not even done it once so i haven't had the chance to praise him! Also he always runs in crazy circles like 100mph before he poops which i think he is unable to do on the lead :( I live in an apartment and its driving me crazy!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Where does he poop?

If he is pooping in the house, then you are not managing correctly. If he has free run of the house it needs to stop. He is either in a crate, an expen, or attached to you by a leash so where you go he goes and you can have an eye on him 100% of the time. If you see signs of him starting to poop (sniffing, circling, doing that funny wide leg walk, etc.) then immediately rush him outside.

If he does poop in the house, do you punish him? If so, stop. He doesn't understand why you are punishing him. All he knows is that when he poops and you are around he gets yelled at. This would cause him to be wary to poop around you for fear of getting punished, whether outside or not. I'm not saying you do punish but it is definitely a factor that can influence his behavior if you are. He is a puppy and will make mistakes, punishing will just make him scared of you at this point.

If he is pooping in the house, try taking some of that poop outside in an area he can poop in. Clean up ALL messes with an enzymatic cleaner (Nature's Miracle is a brand that people find really helpful). You need something to take away the signals in the poop that say "poop here"! When you know he might have to poop (after a walk, after eating, etc.) then take him outside and make it fun. Let him run around. If you are not in an enclosed area where it is safe to let him run around, use a harness and a long line so you can grab him and prevent him from going too far but he still has the freedom to bounce around. Moving makes animals have to go to the bathroom as it gets the bowels moving. So standing outside and waiting isn't doing much because they don't need to go...once you get on a walk or start playing with a ball he should realize he has to go.

Make a schedule of when he does eat and poop. So if he eats at 9am and poops at noon...well now you know that around noon you should be giving him lots of breaks outside, maybe take him for a walk, etc.

Always praise and treat heavily when he does eliminate outside. Otherwise, it is just management and consistency.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts