Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 month old blue doberman with liquid poop at least once a day. She is fed diamond naturals, and we just switched from a different holistic chicken based protein food with no better results in the transition. She gets fish oil and occasionally peanut butter... these are the only factors I can think of. She only gets natural real chew bones.
She is otherwise healthy and the vet gave her a probiotic but it's almost gone and there has been no improvement.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Peanut butter gives mine liquid poop. I's stop any extra supplements and the fish oil, do small/frequent meals of her regular food only until things firm up. Usually when my dogs get diarrhea, the best thing is a ½ day fast immediately, only fresh water. Then small meals- ½ of the usual ration per meal for a day or two so as to not over stress the GI tract. And then slowly increase amounts over the next few days.

If her belly is still in bad shape after that, it's time to check for giardia or coccidiosis or try a different, bland food.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
What has your vet said about the liquid poops? have they ran any tests? Anytime any of mine start with loose stools I immediately switch to either boiled chicken or boiled hamburger and rice. If this helps than slowly introduce the normal food again. Usually a bland diet like this is what most vets recommend for loose stools. If the loose stools get better with the bland diet but start up again once you introduce the food, then the food would be the culprit. If the loose stools don't go away with the bland diet than there would be some other cause like worms/other parasites or something else. While giving the bland diet, no other food or treats should be given.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
After you provide consistent food that doesn't seem to be a problem for 1 - 2 weeks, you might also provide some plain, canned pumpkin, which will serve as added fiber to help firm things up. I don't suggest that, yet, b/c you want to identify the cause.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a similar question just below this one that no one has responded to. My 10 week old is having some firm and some very soft stools. She was wormed just before we left the shelter a week ago yesterday and I did see one worm yesterday. I'm assuming it's a combo of her stealing the cat's soft food and the worm medication. Puppies have very short intestinal tracts so things move through pretty quickly already.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I have a 4 month old blue doberman with liquid poop at least once a day. She is fed diamond naturals, and we just switched from a different holistic chicken based protein food with no better results in the transition. She gets fish oil and occasionally peanut butter... these are the only factors I can think of. She only gets natural real chew bones.
She is otherwise healthy and the vet gave her a probiotic but it's almost gone and there has been no improvement.
How are you managing these food swaps? Are you switching gradually or all at once? How long did you give the holistic chicken-based protein food before switching to Diamond Naturals?

Also, until you get the food issue figured out, I'd personally cut back on *everything* else. You can't determine what's causing your puppy's diarrhea until you subtract every other factor. So feed ONLY Diamond Naturals for at least a week. No fish oil, no peanut butter. Give your pup's digestive system a chance to even out, and then if it doesn't, switch foods and give it another two weeks before you decide that's not working either.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We figured it out! fish oil was the culprit.
Yes I know how to switch foods gradually. thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts