Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

My Whippet boy is 4 months old. He is currently on Acana Puppy & Junior, I would give him about 1 cup three times a day (morning, lunch, and dinner). I see different recommendations for how many cups a day he should receive, I was told a 4 month old whippet could eat up to 4 cups a day - but I recently discovered online they suggest up to 1&1/3 cups per day for his food&his size - This is a huge difference. His morning stools are usually fine but later in the day they are sometimes impossible to pick up, as they are like pudding, mustard-like in color, and extremely foul smelling. I have changed his feedings to 1/2 cup dog kibble and 1/2 cup boiled rice to try and stop the diarrhea, but it's not really helping.

Is his diet too high in protein/fat, or do you think he has a food intolerance (perhaps chicken)? Or am I feeding him the wrong amount/wrong intervals?
I'm leaning towards a food intolerance.

I've only ever had a small dog who 'grazed' as she pleased throughout the day. Help is very much appreciated. I just want to help the little guy.

·
Registered
704 Posts
A whippet it a small-medium sized dog. Most large dogs don't even eat 4 cups a day. Especially not of a food like Acana. My friends husky eats less than 2 cups a day of Acana.
It is likely that you are wayyy over feeding which would cause diarrhea. Look at the back of the bag for a guideline and then feed slightly less than in suggests.
How much does he currently weigh?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A whippet it a small-medium sized dog. Most large dogs don't even eat 4 cups a day. Especially not of a food like Acana. My friends husky eats less than 2 cups a day of Acana.
It is likely that you are wayyy over feeding which would cause diarrhea. Look at the back of the bag for a guideline and then feed slightly less than in suggests.
How much does he currently weigh?
WOW. My breeder printed out this guide from here >> http://tivio-whippets.com/the_care_&_loving_of_your_new_whippet_puppy.htm << and gave it to me when I picked up the puppy, along with a few others. This is where I read to to feed him as much as he could eat per meal and that it could peak at 4-5 cups a day. Unbelievable. Thank you so much for your reply. I'm going to cut down on his meals immediately. :/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and he weighs about 20 pounds. His ribs are still visible so he's not gotten overweight yet. I read the suggested amount on the bag as well as used a calculator online for his size and the kcalories in his Acana food to find the right amount to feed him now.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Obviously as a puppy he will need more than an adult, but for comparisons same my dog is 15 lbs and was eating a 1/2 cup of Acana for the whole day.
I would probably be feeding your little guy a cup to a cup and a half max right now

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
When I look at calorie calculators and dog food bags I see I feed my dog just under the minimum amount to 1/2 the suggested amount even though I feel my dog is moderately active. I want slim dogs with waists, tucks and easily felt ribs/hips/shoulders/chest points.

Lessons from Sassy.
I tried to fatten up my elderly dog by feeding more. She pooped out enormous soft stools and never gained a pound. Sometimes feeding more than the dog needs just results in soft to loose stool. Just for a day cut back the amount you are giving your pup by 25% to see if there is any positive change in his stool. If this is why his stool is awful then it could improve in just a day.

As she aged she would eat all her food but then regurgitate just about 1/3 immediately after. I split her food into more meals, she kept it all down and she didn't lose weight. If your pup gets skinnier than he ought to - which is pretty skinny for a whippet then he still needs food 3x a day.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Which Acana formula is he on? It could be the fat/ calorie count in the Acana, I have known more than a few dogs who cant handle foods like Acana, my dogs, even the one with a cast iron stomach cant handle Acana ... not that its not a good food, because it is, but it is a very rich food. Maybe try something less rich like Castor and Pollux, Earthborn Holistic (I feed the primitive naturals, but any of their formulas are good) I would also stay away from red meat foods, as they have a tendency to be a bit richer than fish based or chicken / turkey based foods.

Also, you might want to look into this supplement: www.nuprosupplements.com/ My puppy had horrible, chronic diahrea, we tried everything, switching foods, tweaking the amount etc ... the only thing that helped him was this supplement. Not saying that it is a cure all ... but its worth a try and certainly cant hurt LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts