Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came back to try to edit my typo in the title....should be VIOLENT

My name is Taylor. I have had dogs all my life. I have a 12 year old Chihuahua at the moment who is easy going and an almost 4 month old Pomeranian the reason of which I joined. I truly need some help with him. He is super strong willed, very smart, and does not take no for an answer. I look forward to meeting other people on this site and hopefully gaining some insight on how to help my puppy before I end up having to get rid of him which I do not want to do. He has now bit three people viciously and today he bit me and I was bleeding for a good while. He only does this when he gets something in his mouth that he does not want to give up. I have to take it away because he tries to eat things that are non-edible and he tries to clamp his jaw shut and when I pry it open he growls then bites extremely hard to where I may need stitches. All this from a puppy with those needle sharp baby teeth. It takes everything I have not to hit him. I have never hit or spanked a puppy but what can I do? He did this to me today and last night to my roommate. Both times it was because he had something in his mouth he did not want to give up. I want to sign him up for obedience training but they say he is too young at this point. He has a playpen about the size you would use for a real child right in the center of the kitchen so when he is in there he can see what's going on and he also has a bed, toys, food, all the good stuff in there so I don't mind using it when I need to. He will inevitably get in the trash and once again grab something he shouldn't have and I have to get it away and practically lose a finger when doing so. I'm feeling very helpless here. My last Pom was wonderful and never had this mean stubborn streak that Jaxon has. I adopted my last Pom when he was 8 years old though so I never knew him as a puppy.

My heart is broken because he has been given the best toys, food, and life a puppy could ask for. I rock him to sleep every night. I want him to be able to sleep in bed with me but he gets up during the night and my fear is he will get himself into trouble and no one will be awake so he has to sleep in the playpen for now. I never imagined having a Pom puppy would be like this. He also likes to chew on our clothing, hands, anything that he should not chew on. Saying no and handing him a suitable thing to chew on does not work. He gets his mind set on what he wants and is stubborn enough to keep trying to get his way. Please, anyone, is there anything I can do for Jaxon to help him while we bide our time to get him into obedience school? I would think since we have only had him since July 3. and he is a baby there has to be hope. When he is in a nice mood he gives kisses and he loves to cuddle. It's not all bad. I just don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I wrote this 3 days ago and since then Jax has gotten much better with biting our clothing and the furniture as long as we are all on the same page and say NO in a deep voice when he is doing it and knock him off. After 3 tries he is bored with it and onto something else. BUT, last night he got in the trash when my roommate turned her head for a minute and got ahold of a dirty tissue. She called for my help because she was not keen to be bit again so I came and after we boxed him in (he will run with contraband in his mouth and avoid us catching him until he chews and swallows said item) I said "DROP" in a loud voice. He would not drop the item and so i had to choice but to grab his body He clamped down harder on the dirty tissue. I pryed his mouth open all while saying DROP and get it back but not before he growled then clamped down on my hand breaking skin blood everywhere for the second time this week. This dog just thinks he runs the show. It makes me very sad because everyone who sees him thinks he is such an angel because he looks like one. Sadly he is not. I'm about to get rid of him. I am that angry right now. HELP!!!

I attached a cute pic of Jax yawning.

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
First of all - please STOP chasing him & prying his mouth open. Unless he has a hold of something that will literally KILL him if ingested (which a dirty tissue will not) there is no need for this type of drastic response on your part. All it does is teach him to guard even more, and respond more quickly with his teeth when you come near.

He won't respond to "DROP" because he doesn't speak English & he doesn't have a clue what that means. You need to teach him to happily give up things he has in his possession. In the meantime, take a critical look at your living situation & figure out HOW he keeps getting a hold of things that he shouldn't. Garbage can? Put it away under a sink or get one with a lid. Personal items left lying around? Pick up after yourself. Getting into 'trouble' when your back is turned? Into the playpen he goes unless your eyes are glued to him. It is up to you to *prevent* him from accessing things he shouldn't.

Next you need to teach him to trade. Give him a toy & when he is playing with it/chewing on it, go over with a **super** yummy treat & offer it to him. When he drops the toy (in order to eat the treat) say "Drop it" and then pick up the toy as he is chewing the food. Then immediately give him the toy back. Practice this over & over & over & over & over with all sorts of different items. Then if he does happen to get something he really shouldn't have, you will be able to 'trade' for a treat (and since he doesn't get back the forbidden item, you can follow up with a second treat when he gives it up)

I'd also suggest getting a copy of the book 'Mine' by Jean Donaldson. It is the ultimate guide to dealing with resource guarding & should help you a lot! I'd also suggest that you continue looking for a good puppy class to attend. It will help you learn how to work with him in a more positive way, rather than continually telling him "NO". You need to start concentrating on teaching him what you *do* want him to do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all, there are no personal items left lying around the house. You would think no one lived here or it was the showroom apartment they used to show someone when they are thinking of moving in. My roommate hates clutter. The tissue was in the trash in the bathroom and my roommate was supposed to be watching him. My home is very clean. Telling me to "pick up after myself" made me laugh because the only things to pick up are furniture. Our clothing and shoes are in our walk-in closets with the doors shut. The only things he has access to normally are his toys that are on the floor. The kitchen garbage is under the sink but we have trash cans in every room of our home.

The last time I did not take something like paper from him and he ate it he had to go to the vet because his intestines got blocked. I don't know if you know how small a baby Pom is but their intestines are the size of macaroni noodles. You truly have to watch every little thing they try to swallow. He does know what drop means because when I walk him outside and he picks up leaves, cigarette butts....etc. on the walk I say drop and he drops. He has heard the word and the tone I use when saying it so many times that he does know what it means. He is always rewarded with high praise when he does this. For some reason he doesn't want to drop inside the house. Again....he did not get into the bathroom trash to get the tissue on my watch. I'm hyper-vigilant and he never would have dumped her trash can if I was watching him and this issue would not have even happened. My roommate was the one who was online not paying attention and of course he gets into trouble when you are not watching and she yells for me since she has already been bitten.

I asked for help not a lecture. If this happens again in any way I will try to offer a trade of something tastier let him have a smell of it and say "drop". If it works he gets the treat and high praise. Thankfully, he is not in the least food aggressive or even toy aggressive. Only things he knows he should not have. He knows going into the garbage is forbidden but since my home is so puppy proofed and decluttered the bathroom trash is the only thing he can get to. I have my own bathroom and the door is always closed. Getting my roommate to remember to close hers is a whole other story.

He's a quirky little guy. He actually loves it when I sit on the floor when it's his dinner time and put my hand in his dish of kibble and hand it to him to eat. I don't do that every time he eats but I started it the moment he came home to make sure he never would be a food aggressive boy and it worked.

I wrote this message in the heat of the moment when you don't exaxtly mean everything you say. I love him dearly and would never ever get rid of him. I don't think he is a bad dog. Just very smart and stubborn. He is obviously also teething. I have all kinds of toys that can be frozen and then he has soft toys that squeek and bully sticks too. He probably has 50-75 toys. lol I put some down and then put the others away so I can rotate them when he seems to get bored of the ones he has.

I wish he would start sleeping through the night. Sleep deprivation is probably the worst for me right now. He has to sleep in his playpen and has a nightlight and radio. If he could sleep through the night he could sleep in my bed. That's my ultimate goal for him. I would love to be able to sleep with him. My last Pomeranian, Boomer, was my best friend and we would hang out together all day and sleep together every night. I miss his furry body against me in bed. I wonder how old Jax is going to have to be in order to be able to sleep through the night with me. I have to get up with him sometiimes each hour because if I let him cry it out he gets so loud he will wake the neighbors. He knws it's not time to get up for the day though because when I have to get him up in the night I do not talk to him or look at him. I set him on a pee pad, he goes, I sit with him in a rocking chair and rock him (sometimes against his will) until he falls back asleep. This takes about 5 minutes and he is out like a light. Unfortunately for me I can't go straight back to sleep. It takes me a good 20 minutes and just about the time I am back to sleep he is up crying again. We can go through this 5 times a night. Last night was good because he only woke at 5:00 a.m.

Thanks for the suggestion on the book. I try to read every book there is. I read "Chewing, Tugging, Nipping and Biting: Detailed Step-by-Step Training for Puppies and Dogs, by Faye Dunningham." Then I read the PetPom Manual that has every single thing you need to know about Pomeranians. That book is an e-book and the cool thing is they constantly update it and once you buy it you get the free updates for life which is nice. It has everything from how to groom a Pom to potty training to what toys work best...etc. I think once he loses his baby teeth and we get him neutered in two more months plus join an obedience class he will be fine.

One thing Jaxon is never hurting for is time, love, and attention. I work from home most of the time and he has someone here 24/7 if not me then my roommate. He is in his crate when no one can keep their eyes on him but slip ups like the dirty tissue can happen from time to time. I wish my roommate had put him in his playpen when she decided to get online and I thought I was getting a break but crap happens. My wounds will heal and we will go on. Anyway, sorry for such a long reply or for being a jerk. YAWN! I'm cranky when I am tired. Just wanted you to know this dog is watched and I keep an immaculate home but sometimes people forget to close the bathroom door. I know I for sure wouldn't. My roommate needs to take a lesson from me on that.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I want to sign him up for obedience training but they say he is too young at this point.
At four months I wouldn't consider him too young. Actually it's prime time to get started in classes imo, provided he's already received all of his vax. Maybe it's just personal policy at the place where you enquired, so check with some other training centers in your area.

He also likes to chew on our clothing, hands, anything that he should not chew on. Saying no and handing him a suitable thing to chew on does not work.
Don't just hand him an alternative, such as a toy. Puppies seem to love the 'reaction' that comes from hands, and pantlegs. Therefore my suggestion would be to INTERACT with the toy YOURSELF, get down on the floor, wiggle it around, play growl and make squeaky noises, perhaps kindly tease him a little bit with it. Create some interest in it, bring it to life so-to-speak, invite/ allow your pup to join in the fun WITH YOU, play tug for example and allow him to occassionaly 'win' of course. Try using something relatively soft like a small braided rope toy or similar. Hard textured toys like mini kongs are a good choice for non-interactive play, particularly if they're filled with peanut butter etc.

If you already have a nominal amount of experience with dogs, I'd suggest Pat Miller's book The Power of Positive Dog Training for additional reading material.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The ones I want to take him to say he has to be 6 months. He is old enough to go to the puppy class that teaches sit, stay, and heel but he has those mastered already. He has one more parvo and then his rabies shot too before we go to the class anyway.

I do get down on the floor and play with him with his toys and make silly noices. He looks so cute when he cocks his head to the side like he is thinking "what the heck are you saying?" He has several rope toys and I could tell his gums were really sore one day because he is teething so I took one and ran it through water then put it in the freezer. He loves frozen rope toys on his gums. He loves peanut butter like most dogs but his favorite in his Kong is fat free cream cheese. He goes crazy for that. We do NOT play tug of war anymore though. What once was cute when he tugged at 8 weeks and had little growls has now turned into a blood bath I will win this game even if I have to let go and attack your hand to win. I play no sorts of tug games with him anymore. Instead I gather six of his favorite toys and we play fetch. I will squeek one and throw it and praise him highly when he brings it back only to surprise him by pulling a different toy out from behind my back and squeeking it. He generally lets go of the one he just fetched in order to chase the new one. I can play fetch in that way without ever having to touch the actual toy that is currently in his mouth.

Today he was frustrating in a different way. He gets walked four times a day and has a pee pad that is always in the same spot so he knows where to go if he has to go for some reason in between walks. When he uses the pad we reward him by giving him a blueberry and saying Yay good boy!!! He looks at the little spot on the pad and looks at us as if he is really proud that he peed on the pad.

I have no idea why but today he had his normal schedule of going outside four times at the exact same time but he pooped on the kitchen floor and peed in the kitchen several times throughout the day. It's like one step forward and two steps back lately with potty training. I just get so sad because yesterday he pooped and peed only on the four times he went outside so he knows where to go potty. I always cheer when he goes outside as well and give him a reward upon coming inside. This evening we came inside from our last walk of the night and right after i took off his harness he walked past his pee pad, looked me straight in the eye, and peed a huge stream on the kitchen floor!

Why? He had just gone and did it several times outdoors. Why is he doing this? This little dog is killing me I swear. I'm about to need my Xanax script raised. Any advice on this matter??

Thanks for the advice on the book. I will get it. I am learning that my last puppy I had is now 12 and i was 29 at the time. Keeping up with a puppy at 41 isn't as easy as it was at 29.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just read someone else's issue on potty training on this site and it gave me some ideas. Tomorrow morning I am taking up the pee pad and throwing it away for good. Since Jax is 4 months he should be able to hold his bladder 2 hours so every two hours on the dot i am going to start taking him outside instead of taking him on 4 walks a day like I was doing for my 12 year old Chihuahua. My 12 year old is fine with going at 6 a.m. at noon, at 5 p.m. and at 9:00 p.m. Jax is only 4 months old so he will be going out at 6, 8, 10, noon, 2, 4, 6, 8 and one more before bed. Obviously his walks are not going to be super long if I have to take him out that often. Having the pee pad in the house may be confusing to him so my convenience is going to have to go out the door. It sucks for me since I am on the second floor of an apartment and a chronic pain patient but I cannot see any other way to train Jax. I will give it a try and maybe when he is five months old I can switch to taking him every three hours and so on until he finally gets it to only need to go on four long walks like my older guy. I will carry some low cal treats on me to give him immediately when he goes in the grass. I just hope I can physically keep up with my new plan. lol I will let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Hope to God I never end out with a puppy like the one you describe.
Have you thought of contacting the breeder you got him from and asking for advice?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh trust me I have talked her her. I bought him for $400.00 after finding her on craigslist. She kept one of his litter and when I mention the things he does she claims that the one she kept has never been like that. No answers no help or suggestions. But, looking back I think she gave them out to their new homes too young. He was literally not much bigger than a hamster when I got him. He was not quite 8 weeks old and she told me he was weaned and eating solid kibble and water but as soon as we brought him home he was trying to suckle against my roommates shirt. I put down some "Taste of the Wild" puppy kibble for him and he could not chew it. I had to water it down to make it soft in order to feed the poor guy.

Today has been wonderful. I decided I was done with the pee pads and we were going to start potty training. I am exhausted because I have had him out at 6 a.m. and every 2 hours on the dot since. He only had one accident in the house and seems to be so much calmer. I think going outside for long walks every two hours is wiping his little hyper butt out. lol It's wiping me out as well. I had my friend pick up some turkey bacon and I took four strips and fried them up to a hard crisp then broke them into tiny bits and smashed all the grease out. I put the pieces in a plastic baggie and carried it in my pocket each time I took him out. The second he finished peeing or pooping he got a tiny piece of bacon to eat. He went INSANE for that bacon. It was so cute he is so smart he figured out really quick I need to see pee or poop coing out in the grass in order for him to earn a piece of bacon and he was standing there pushing for the teeniest dribble of pee so he could get another crumble. haha My roommate's birthday was today and we had a party with people over. Not the best day to start potty training one would say. But, for the first time in the time we have owned him...since July 3'rd, he is not jumping on people, chewing at their clothing, grabbing things he shouldn't, peeing and pooping in the house and jumping onj people while they are eating whining and begging for their food. He is so dog tired from going for a walk every two hours that he is wiped out. lol Maybe I will have to do this for awhile. Perhaps he was getting into so much trouble all the time because he was going stir crazy in this apartment and he is a high energy dog. Pee pads were convenient for us but in the end it is him who is important and our being happy to be with him. Our neighbor came over and for the first time since we got the puppy he was able to hold him in his arms and he was still. My neighbor longed to hold him but he is an older gent and he takes blood thinners so all of Jax's jumping and scratching and biting would cause intense bleeding on him. What I want to know is how long I am going to have to go out every two hours and when I can start lengthening it to 2 and a half and then 3 hours. Time will tell. As it stands so far he has had to go every single time we went out. I'm aiming for no accidents in the house. I need a nap right now and Jax is laying down sleeping because he is wiped out from running around. His next time to go out is at 6 p.m. I wonder if I should wake him up and take him out if he is sleeping or let sleeping dogs lie and wait until he wakes up. Overall, I now know my dog is smart with high energy and needs tons of exercise to be a nicer boy. Thanks all. I will let you know if things get better or worse. I am praying that from all the walks he has today a record EIGHT of them he will finally let me sleep through the night. :)

It is now 10 p.m. and Jax only had the one accident in the house on his first day of potty training and that was early in the morning. He was wonderful on all 8 walks and once the bacon came into the picture he knew to go potty the minute he hit the grass. When he wasn't in the mood to go right away I walked him the entire length and around the entire acre and a half of land that our apartments sit on until he felt like it. lol Overall he did awesome for his first day with no pee pad. Well, I pray he is exhausted enough to sleep until 6:00 a.m. when we start all over again. I have decided to still do every two hours unless he happens to be napping at the two hour point and in that case as soon as he wakes from his nap we will will go. I will let you all know if we have an accident free day tomorrow. I can already tell the extra walks have made him more serene because he is worn out. Florida in the Summer can take the hyperactivity out of you when you are outside. Now I'm aching in places I didn't know I had. I wish we lived on the first floor. The staircase to and from my apartment is 20 steep stairs each way...ugh. Well good night all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is our bonding time after a long day and I only did it last night for less than five minutes since he was so wiped out. I have songs I sing to him that soothe him and I find nothing wrong with it. Then when he gets limp I put him into his crate and say good-night. I think I am a much better pet owner than someone who just tosses a dog in a crate and never shows it any love. I could be doing worse. Today started well. He sleot all the way until 6:00 a.m. when I heard him whimpering. I got him into his harness and out we went with my bacon pieces in a baggie in my pocket. He pee'd immediately and got a crumble of bacon. Then he pooped a huge pile and got another. By George I think this dog is getting potty training. The day is young and I will check in tonight to let you all know if he had any indoor accidents. I am happy if a little sore. I will end up losing a lot of weight doing this potty training technique anyway so it's a win-win. He is so exhausted half way through the day he is like a new dog. Calm and nice. We have had no issues since yesterday of biting. He picked up something with his mouth he should not have had and I grabbed his favorite toy and he handed over what was in his mouth for the toy. Easy peasy. Everyone who came to the party yesterday asked who he was and what we did with our out of control dog. lol So I'm happy if not exhausted. I think as time goes by I can start adding more minutes between going outside. Thanks all.... p.s. I wish now I could change my log in name. I may join again under another e-mail because I don't think I will need that user name if things still keep going this way. :)

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
[email protected] a better pet owner than people who "toss" their dog into a crate and "never show it any love". Mine love their crates & go in all on their own; they also go to sleep on their own. I have dogs I love, not babies. My babies are grown and parents themselves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was not speaking about you. I was speaking about some people in general. I am 41 single with no children. My dogs are my fur children. I still treat them like dogs and oh yes he loves his crate/playpen because when I put him in he goes right to sleeo but I enjoy holding him for a few minutes before bed and rocking and singing to him. It's not a crime and we both enjoy it. The times I have put him to bed without the routine of rocking and singing he starts whining. So I take it he likes our special 5 minutes at bedtime togehter. My German Shepherd lived with me from 5 weeks until he was 14 and only died because he had Congestive heart Failure. I gave him a wonderful life. My Pom Boomer that died was 8 when I got him so I didn't raise him from birth or I think he would still be alive. He died at age 11. His teeth were so rotten when I got him I had to have them removed and he had a collar on that was so tight he had a collapsed trachea. The previous owner did not know you NEVER put collars on Pomeranians because they have necks that are small and prone to collapsed trachea. I loved him so very much that I wanted to die when he died. That is why we got Jaxon. I had no idea what Pom pups were like. Very VERY hyper. So now that I am wearing him out he is so much calmer. No more stir crazy biting anything and anyone because he goes outside for a walk every two hours. I didn't rock my Pom Boomer to sleep because he was old enough to sleep in my bed which is what I eventually want for Jaxon when he is fully potty trained. Then we will lay in bed at night and I will pet him until he falls asleep as I did Boomer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well today he only had two accidents in the house. Both were pee and it was just a tiny ammount and on the tile in the kitchen so easy to clean up. He is doing well being potty trained with the method of going out every two hours. I don't wake him up if he is sleeping to take him out though and I guess the first day, yesterday, must have worn him out because after he had his morning routine of going out to pee and poop and then came back inside to eat his breakfast he went back to sleep and slept until 20 minutes until 2:00 p.m. I must have been tired too because I fell alseep and woke when he woke me then. lol I then went back to my every two hour thing with bacon bits as treats whenever he would go potty outside. Unfortunately since he slept half the day away he was super SUPER hyper all evening once again. I think this dog even though he is a Pom would do well on a farm. haha He needs tons and I mean tons of exercise to remain somewhat normal and not like a tazmanian devil. He truly is a sweetie when he is calm and not biting everything that moves. AS Cesar Millan always says exercise is a key for hyper dogs that like to get into trouble. I am finding this to be true for sure with Jaxon!!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Resource guarding is a very normal dog behavior and happens all the time. It's also one of the easier behaviors to fix.

Check out the book "Mine!" by Jean Donaldson.

The net is to trade him higher value treats or toys for whatever he has. The guarding is because he's afraid you'll take things from him (which is exactly what you're doing) so you need to change his mindset. Teach him that giving you things is awesome because he gets something better for it. You won't have to trade him things forever.

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
I may join again under another e-mail because I don't think I will need that user name if things still keep going this way.
I'd highly recommend you read the rules first, because doing this will end your time here on the forum very quickly. Multiple memberships are NOT allowed on this forum, and will result in a permanent ban.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You should not be taking a 4 month old puppy (or a dog of any age) for a long walk every 2 hours. You will do serious damage to his developing body. Take him out, let him pee or poop, bring him back in. Done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay ten I guess until my puppy is old and gray I will have a name that makes him sound like a monster.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
He needs tons and I mean tons of exercise to remain somewhat normal and not like a tazmanian devil. He truly is a sweetie when he is calm and not biting everything that moves. AS Cesar Millan always says exercise is a key for hyper dogs that like to get into trouble. I am finding this to be true for sure with Jaxon!!
Well, puppies will be puppies. But still I'd be looking towards teaching the pup calm relaxation and focus, first and foremost. You can add general training / up the ante for other mental games to expend energy too, rather than trying to wear the pup out by excessive exercise.

Don't want to start an avalanche here, but CM is not a good role model. Info abounds regarding why not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I made it sound longer than it is obviously. I carry him up and down the stairs so that I will not damage his growing body or bones. Every 2 hours he has to go out because he has been proven to pee at 2 hours and 15 minutes and I want him to succeed. We live in an apartment complex so the longest actual walk he gets is peeing on the first strip of grass he sees since he has honed on to the fact I have bacon in my pocket when he pees. It feels like a log walk to me because I am psysically disabled but it is technically a walk around a block. It does not harm him in any way. He gets uber excited when he sees we are leaving the apartment. This is not my first rodeo in raising a dog. I know how long to walk and when he starts panting or seems tired I pick him up and carry him home AFTER he has peed and pooped. He doesn't weigh more than 3 pounds right now.

You know, I came to this site for some help but it seems that every single post with the exception of a couple have done nothing but downgrade me and tell me what I have done wrong. That isn't a nice way to treat a new member. The most important part is I love my dogs with all my heart. They get the best of food, toys, and most of all my love and time since I do not have to work from home. I think I will go ahead and join a site where people treat each other with kindness and not rudeness. I feel sorry for anyone who is raising a dog for the first time and really doesn't know anything. Some of you will tear them apart. Just so you know my first two dogs lived to almost 15 and my other is 12 and still plays like a puppy. I must be doing something right! This is my last post. For those of you who honestly tried to help me, thank you. For those others...think about what you post before you post it. Good luck to you and yours, Taylor Anstrom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts