Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 month old Shichi( shih tzu chihuahua mix). He pooped at the bottom of the stairs and it looks like diarrhea. Also when I went in the bathroom their was poopy liquid in a puddle on the floor. As gross as it may sound. I really want to know what's wrong with him. Could he need to have his heartworm medicine? he has full access to food and water all day so he can't be dehydrated. Please help!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
He can be dehydrated if he hasn't been drinking his water. . .just because it's available doesn't mean he's drinking it. And those little guys can go downhill so quickly, it's scary. Do you know how to tell if he's dehydrated? (gently pinch the skin on the back of his neck; if the skin doesn't snap right back into place he's dehydrated). You can give him unflavored Pedialyte or Oral Rehydration Solution (Google for recipes) if he seems a bit dry.

It's not possible to determine what's wrong with him over the internet. His heartworm medication won't help diarrhea. It could just be a little tummy upset, but keep a close eye on him. Give him a little boiled chicken and white rice for dinner tonight, and if his poop isn't looking better tomorrow you really should call the vet. Small-breed puppies are delicate--don't want to take any chances!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
He can be dehydrated if he hasn't been drinking his water. . .just because it's available doesn't mean he's drinking it. And those little guys can go downhill so quickly, it's scary. Do you know how to tell if he's dehydrated? (gently pinch the skin on the back of his neck; if the skin doesn't snap right back into place he's dehydrated).

It's not possible to determine what's wrong with him over the internet. His heartworm medication won't help diarrhea. It could just be a little tummy upset, but keep a close eye on him. Give him a little boiled chicken and white rice for dinner tonight, and if his poop isn't looking better tomorrow you really should call the vet. Small-breed puppies are delicate--don't want to take any chances!
I tried gently pinching the skin on his back and it snapped back really fast. I think he just has a little stomach upset.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I would actually recommend not feeding him today. it wont hurt him make sure he drinks but then nothing will cause further irritation. give his digestive system a chance to rest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts